Buying a new Spike+ 15 gallon kettle. Should I add a port for a temp probe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garthmuss

Reaction score
I’m going to buy a new Spike+ 15 kettle, a basket from UtahBiodiesel, and a 5500 watt element. I’ll control the element with a simple rheostat power dial, and an on off switch.

I'm trying to decide if I'll ever want to incorporate a PID controller and a recirc pump for step mash temp control. Right now I'm fine without it, but I am mildly interested in it, and that interest might grow as I continue brewing.

If I do eventually decide to wire up a PID controller and run step mashes with a pump, I'm going to want a dedicated temp probe port down next to my element port. I usually just use a handheld probe during my brewday, and I think I prefer that, unless I go the PID controller route. I'm trying to decide if I should add that third port (one for the valve, one for the element, and the third for the temp probe) now, and just cap it off, and if I ever decide to make the swap I'll have it, or if I want to just keep the two ports and deal with welding on another TC fitting when I cross that bridge.

I got mine with an outlet, whirlpool, element, and temp probe but skipped a port for a steam slayer and regretted it later. Buy it with every port you could want and cap them until you are ready to use them.

I got mine with an outlet, whirlpool, element, and temp probe but skipped a port for a steam slayer and regretted it later. Buy it with every port you could want and cap them until you are ready to use them.
That's what I'm sort of thinking, but I don't know if I'll ever want to move to a pump. Step mashing is intriguing, but using a pump, and cleaning it and dealing with grain crush to promote recirculation, all sounds real lame. I'm pretty on the fence about it. I'm leaning towards not getting the port. I have a buddy who can TIG weld, so it wouldn't be much of an issue I think I ever wanted to add one.

You could always do a step mash with a boiling water infusion or decoction, Personel preference I guess, Some of these kettles have so many ports they look space age tech :)
Not my preference lol

I think having the additional port added up-front is a good idea.

Using/cleaning a pump is pretty simple. When I finish my brew I rinse all the large trub/protein out and then fill my kettle almost all the way, heat to 165F, and then add my cleaning and circulate it through everything with the pump. Everything gets rinsed afterwards and allowed to dry.

You could always do a step mash with a boiling water infusion or decoction, Personel preference I guess, Some of these kettles have so many ports they look space age tech :)
Not my preference lol
Hmm, once I go electric, I will have a spare burner more than capable of boiling on the side.. Hadn't thought of this. I was even thinking of simply heating and stirring during mash to get to the next step. I too am very into the simple and streamlined system. Less ports means less cleaning and less stuff to deal with.

I think having the additional port added up-front is a good idea.

Using/cleaning a pump is pretty simple. When I finish my brew I rinse all the large trub/protein out and then fill my kettle almost all the way, heat to 165F, and then add my cleaning and circulate it through everything with the pump. Everything gets rinsed afterwards and allowed to dry.
Taken on board, thanks for the reply. But that cleaning regimen sounds somewhat intensive compared to mine. I just save a bit of hot water from chilling, wipe down the pot with a rag and rinse with hosewater. The 3 piece ball valve takes a bit longer but I don't do that every brewday. Everything is cleaned within 10-15 minutes after I remove the chiller from the wort.

With electric though, I'll have to clean the element (which I read can be done easily by boiling just enough water to cover and adding oxyclean, then rinsing).

I have looked into those little $27 solar hot water pumps on amazon, they look almost to good to be true.

Back