Spider mites?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunslinger711

Reaction score
Looking for some advice. Thinking my cascades have a spider mite infestation (correct me if I'm wrong) and I'm looking for the best way to get rid of them/keep them away. Pictures of front and back attached.

Hop_Leaf_Front_small.jpg

Leaf_Back_Mod-SMALL.jpg

It's probably not, but that looks more like some type of leaf-miner 'type' damage. I would say that it's not mite damage. Do a search for "mite bronzing" and you'll see that mites cause a general discoloration of the leaf surface. At first it looks like a general green-whitish stippled coloration which turns to a 'bronzing' of the leaves, almost like they caught a drift of some gold paint. Still pretty cold in these parts for mites to be active.

It's been pretty cold and wet which made me not think spider mites and aphids.

Here's what I've been experiencing:
-The leaves look chewed and some have webbing in the chewed out parts
-Some of that webbing and the backs of the leaves have small dots on the back that I'm guessing are eggs
-Spraying the leaves with water doesn't do anything
-The few times I've checked I've seen no actually bug moving around on or around the plant

I've read everything from specific pesticides to soaping the leaves with diluted dish soap or diluted rubbing alcohol. Any help is appreciated.

It's been pretty cold and wet which made me not think spider mites and aphids.

Here's what I've been experiencing:
-The leaves look chewed and some have webbing in the chewed out parts
-Some of that webbing and the backs of the leaves have small dots on the back that I'm guessing are eggs
-Spraying the leaves with water doesn't do anything
-The few times I've checked I've seen no actually bug moving around on or around the plant

I've read everything from specific pesticides to soaping the leaves with diluted dish soap or diluted rubbing alcohol. Any help is appreciated.

I can see a few aphid eggs in the picture. Doesn't look like aphid damage though. Insecticidal soap has good knock down properties for soft bodies. I use m-pede for soap. Neem also has good results. Not sure what people are using. I generally use a product called Trilogy. If your plants are past the training stages you can also try Pyganic a fungal insecticide. Very good knock down but can damage plants if applied too heavy.

You have to get a handle on spider mites early, I thought I did (using insecticidal soap) but they moved too quick and I ended up loosing a few plants. They have been a huge problem this year in Southwestern Ontario.

Back