Spices in Hop Bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pnh2atl

Reaction score
Can anyone think of a good reason not to put spices (Orange peel, coriander, and alike) in the hop bag? I did a Saison (that was awesome) and felt like the yeast shouldn't be used over again because of the peel that was in it so I thought this time I would throw it in the hop bag.

Thanks.

Can anyone think of a good reason not to put spices (Orange peel, coriander, and alike) in the hop bag? I did a Saison (that was awesome) and felt like the yeast shouldn't be used over again because of the peel that was in it so I thought this time I would throw it in the hop bag.

Thanks.

I've done it many times. I can't think of a good reason not too.

I never put spices like you mention in a hop bag. I put them directly in the brew during the respective times and they end up sinking to the bottom of the fermenter. I wouldn't worry about Irish moss either. In fact, I haven't used Irish moss in about 2 years or so and still get clear brews.

Latest posts

Back