Spiced Winter Ale almost Finished in Only 2 days?! London Ale - 72-75F

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TEWNCfarms

Reaction score
5A9B08B2-84C6-4E36-AA77-A063B31BC116.jpeg 68BE2D3D-A497-497A-BF6E-096E212CFDC6.jpeg So I brewed this on Saturday, and yesterday Kräusen was high (especially compared to my first brew an APA with SafAle US-05 No starter, took a few days to get high), today there’s already a bunch of trub and Kräusen has fallen. Not much airlock activity, but it still tastes pretty good (granted I’ve never tasted what off flavors are supposed to taste like).

This was the spiced winter ale recipe from NB and made a shaken not stirred starter with 1L DME wort and nutrient with 1 pack WYeast London Ale. The only thing I think may be off but then again I don’t know for sure, is it has a stronger alcohol smell to it, not bad or vinegar, but it just has a stronger alcohol smell compared to a mulling spice hop aroma; though you can taste the spices.

I forgot to turn my ac on (in the winter!) and it had literally froze the two nights before but then on Saturday when I brewed of course the past two days have been like 70F! So my house rose to 75F, and the sticker therm I have on the speidel says 72-75F.

So I guess my question is, is this normal for a yeast that’s been started already to blow through low gravity beer like this? OG was 1.047. It says on the recipe to let sit for 2 weeks and move to secondary, or let sit for 3 weeks. Do you think the extra aging is going to Aid it and round the aroma out?

Actually just pulled a little to temp with my hydrometer mercury therm instead of the stickon one. It is 72F not 75, and actually the stick on one is pretty accurate, I was reading it wrong (the guy at the local brew store, who owns a brewery too! Told me how to read it wrong) it’s the Green section between the Blue and Yellow. So yeah it’s actually been sitting right at where the temp for the Yeast says, 72F.

Is this the Festivus Miracle? I did the one gallon batch and have it in bottles now. Should be conditioned by this weekend.

Let it ride, visual fermentation signs may have ended but the yeast are cleaning up after themselves now. Only a hydrometer will tell you when it is truly done (2-3 readings over 2-3 days).

That alcohol smell/taste will mellow with age. Eventually it will balance with the spices and give that "Winter Warmer" feel, a little boozy to warm you up with spices it will turn out nice. Patience. RDWHAHB.

Is this the Festivus Miracle? I did the one gallon batch and have it in bottles now. Should be conditioned by this weekend.
No it’s the “Spiced Winter Ale Extract Kit” from northern brewer. Nice hope yours is delicious!

Let it ride, visual fermentation signs may have ended but the yeast are cleaning up after themselves now. Only a hydrometer will tell you when it is truly done (2-3 readings over 2-3 days).

That alcohol smell/taste will mellow with age. Eventually it will balance with the spices and give that "Winter Warmer" feel, a little boozy to warm you up with spices it will turn out nice. Patience. RDWHAHB.
Cool thanks so much. I was debating adding some UK East Goldings hops for a dry hop what do you all think? And I assume I was not supposed to leave the milking spices in to ferment, the recipe says add at 0 min of boil. I added them with 5 minutes left to add some extra flavor, and left the hops and spices in the kettle while it chilled (they were in a bag so I didn’t have to strain.)

+1
I leave almost all batches three weeks.
Cool, even if it’s finished fermenting? Do you think it rounds out/ages it better for better flavor? I was going to a quarter of this spiced trub to ferment a cranberry gruit, but wanted to brew the gruit soon instead of waiting 2-3 weeks, do you think I could rack to secondary and it’d be fine, or just leave it in primary for the full length? The recipe says to move to secondary after 2 weeks for 2 more weeks, but I feel the consensus on that is only if I’m adding fruit or something.

I can't speak to UK East Goldings for DH, I dry hop most of my beers but I leave it out when I don't think it will meld with the style.

Kit directions usually aren't too clear, as you gain experience you'll learn where to consider them and when to just go with what you know. If you detect the spices I don't think it matters too much. Perhaps if you find it wasn't spiced enough you can adjust next time, worst case maybe too subtle or bland. I think it's better to start conservative and as you gain confidence you can get crazy with spices adjuncts etc.

Cool, even if it’s finished fermenting? Do you think it rounds out/ages it better for better flavor? I was going to a quarter of this spiced trub to ferment a cranberry gruit, but wanted to brew the gruit soon instead of waiting 2-3 weeks, do you think I could rack to secondary and it’d be fine, or just leave it in primary for the full length? The recipe says to move to secondary after 2 weeks for 2 more weeks, but I feel the consensus on that is only if I’m adding fruit or something.

I leave it to clear, and clean up off flavors. I also don't worry about taking more than one gravity reading. If it has cleared, and the gravity is around what I expect, I package. If in doubt, I warm it for a few days.

I can't speak to UK East Goldings for DH, I dry hop most of my beers but I leave it out when I don't think it will meld with the style.

Kit directions usually aren't too clear, as you gain experience you'll learn where to consider them and when to just go with what you know. If you detect the spices I don't think it matters too much. Perhaps if you find it wasn't spiced enough you can adjust next time, worst case maybe too subtle or bland. I think it's better to start conservative and as you gain confidence you can get crazy with spices adjuncts etc.
Yeah, I’m glad I added the spices 5 minutes in because if I followed recipe to a T then it wouldn’t have much spiced flavor at all. This was my second batch ever, so I still have some time until I get comfortable but I’m definitely getting a feel for it

I leave it to clear, and clean up off flavors. I also don't worry about taking more than one gravity reading. If it has cleared, and the gravity is around what I expect, I package. If in doubt, I warm it for a few days.
Awesome thanks!

Holy moly! Making a starter the shaken not stirred is killin it! Just made my lemondrop saison kit (I Am Done with extracts! They all taste the same! Subtle differences but underneath it all it’s that malt syrup taste, definitely Not my thing) but brewed yesterday, pitched yeast like 21 hours ago and the much of tge yeast has already settled, Kräusen is falling. I wish these speidels were completely see through, but I’d rather have a sturdier more head room fermenter. And also Ambient temp is 65-66F and I don’t have a sticky therm on the lemondrop speidel but the spiced ale says like 68-70F.

Latest posts

Back