Spent Grain Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMizak

Reaction score
I put about 3 pounds of spent grain in two ziplock bags a few hours after using the grains to brew. The next day the bag was inflated and the other popped. Do spent grains release a certain type of gas after they have been heated? If so, which type of gas is it?

Thanks!

Your grains fermented. Grain is covered in bacteria that probably didn’t get killed during the mash. So the same CO2 that is eventually going to carbonate your beer just popped your bag.

Out of curiosity, why were you saving your grain? I’ve used it in cookies, dog treats, and bread, so no judgement. Juuuuust curious...

I put about 3 pounds of spent grain in two ziplock bags a few hours after using the grains to brew. The next day the bag was inflated and the other popped. Do spent grains release a certain type of gas after they have been heated? If so, which type of gas is it?

Thanks!

Lactobacillus fermentation is the most likely cause, and CO2 would be the dominant component of any gases released...

Cheers!

Out of curiosity, why were you saving your grain? I’ve used it in cookies, dog treats, and bread, so no judgement. Juuuuust curious...

It was my first time brewing with some friends. I gave them the grain to take home as goody bags. They ended up popping like ballons and freaking them out...lol

Back