Speed Response Needed II -- Punkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDB

Reaction score
Good response on previous thread by saying put "pumpkin" in title ..LOL
Doing a partial mash punkin ale, I've read a ton here now and cant make up my mind -- punkin go in partial mash/steep or boil?? Recipe says mash, I've seen many say boil but prepare for one tall trub. I've read that adding punkin doesn't add much by way of flavor (spices do that) just mouthfeel, but I want to add (cuz it's punkin ale for pete's sake!) Brewing within 30 minutes, who's on the computer???

I actually have midwests pumpkin ale in the fermenter right now. Did 20oz in the steeping. 40 oz during boil, and im actually gonna do 40oz in the primary for about a week an half. Then transfer to secondary for fermentation. Never done a pumpkin ale before so I figured what the hell, let's do it in a 3 step process.

Steeping seem to give color
Boiling seemed to give the aroma.
I'm think fermenter = taste?

And what I mean by week and a half, that's what im guesstimating for it to finish fermentation. Could be longer.

It's already been in for close to 2 weeks

Nice. Actually that's a good idea, I would just mash but my partial system is limited volume wise and I'm worrying about the sparge. I like the idea of splitting it in half, mash and boil.

Actually I just put 60oz of pumpkin in the primary.

Baked the 2 30oz cans at 350 for 30 mins with some brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice on top, let it cool to about 80, dropped it in and then wrapped the fermenter with a wet towel and ice packs to sustain the temp.

Prior to adding the pumpkin I took a hydro reading and got 1.012. OG was 1.050 so I'm thinking another week or so and then I'll transfer to secondary for clearing.

Good luck with the pumpkin ale!

Well recipe I'm doing has OG 1.073, and I nailed it!! Funny thing, many homebrews during the process, I forgot to add the pumpkin pie spice to the boil! LOL. I dumped it in the cooling wort I think it will be fine. The wort tastes damn good, I like this 1 can in the mash 1 in the boil thing, the color is beautiful and the flavor nice. I'm five minutes from pitching. Can't wait til October when I start cracking them I think this will be one mighty fine beer! I'm a hunter, so fall is "my time" -- this year will be all the sweeter. Bonus, my wife loves pumpkin ale so maybe she'll be more forgiving about being a deer hunting widow, and with estimated 8% abv I can't help but believe she will be chillin out through October. LOL Cheers all!

Wow that's pretty high, your probably you going to have to leave it ferment longer. Is this a kit? Or was it a recipe you found and put together?

Yeh the spices should be ok.

I took a reading tonight and got about 1.012. So I baked 2 30oz cans of pumpkin with a little more brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice. Cooled it and then added it to the primary. Hopefully in about a week I can rack it to secondary to clean it up. Then I plan on keeping it until late September before starting to consume.

Keep me updated on yours. I'd like to know how it turns out. May see can exchange bottles since this is the first pumpkin ale for both of us. PM me if interested.

Sure!!! This is a recipe posted here by "RENVY"I believe, then modified a little bit to fit my equipment, recipe got great feedback lots of folks brewed it and liked it I'll try to find the original post. The ABV is over the top but that is what beersmith gives me, the original recipe I think was looking for same OG but 7% ABV. We'll see I think I have beersmith dialed in pretty good on my equipment

Back