Specialty grains = malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaptop

Reaction score
Hey guys! I want to order som specialty grains. I found this swedish site (I'm swede) that has many beer ingredients. There is a tab where it is Malt and maltextract and I wonder if caramel malt works the same as specialty grains, before using maltextract.
Like I boil caramel malt in 60 min and then pour in the maltextract.

Am I completely stupid or could it work?

Typically you steep caramel malts for 20-45 mins in 155-160 degrees. Then you add in your malt extract before hot break, with the grains removed from the steeped tea mixture. Never boil grains or raise them above 180 you'll extract harsh tasting tannins.

Caramel is also a specialty grain if that was not made apparent on the website.

Oh okey! I actually made my own specialty grains last time I brewed, I took crushed wheat and oat flakes. I bottled it yesterday and it tasted great! So I wanted to try something else, do You get like a sweet taste from caramelised malt?

And yeah, do I need to crush my malt before steeping?

Yeah, you'll need to crush it first.

I had read on these forums awhile back that putting the grains in a zip lock bag and crushing them with a rolling pin works.... And it does (as long as it's small quantities!), but if you plan on cruising your own on a regular basis I'd strongly suggest getting a grain milk of some sort.

I have a corona mill and it works great for my needs.

I suggest you also read the stickies at the top of this forum. Recipe formulation & ingredients description for starters. You need to learn the basics of steeping vs mashing to start using grains with your beers.

Latest posts

Back