Speciality grains – crushing without a mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeSkril

Reaction score
I have to crush 1 lb of Caramel 20 and I have not mill. I’ve tried a rolling pin (wood) but kernels are not crushed. I guess the kernel must be crushed, right? I have a coffee grinder (like a very small blender). Should I try this to crush?

Thanks!

A rolling pin always worked for me for specialty grains....maybe you need a bigger rolling pin, not one of those tiny 1.5" diameter "housewife" pins? I have a big fat one, but then again, I was a baker for most of my working life :)

I would try the blender. Use the Pulse setting and perhaps the 'chop' setting (mine has a chop setting...stay away from liquify) and go slow. You can test the grinder vs the blender as well. That may be best.

I crush my entire grain bill in the blender. Since you're using a bag, you don't really have to worry about crushing too fine.

Since you're using a bag, you don't really have to worry about crushing too fine.

Thats the other thing...I have a steeping bag but its too small. I found a bag of Cheesecloth at the local hardware store. I think that really small stuff will not stay in the cheesecloth, will it?

55946413.jpg

So a blender or say food processor is ok for BIAB as long as its not to fine of crush?. What happens if its too fine taste wise in the beer?
Thanks

There is nearly no such thing as too fine for BIAB. While some flour may stay in the brew, it all settles out in the fermenter if not sooner. I also use a blender for all grinding. I just watch it chop until there are no more whole kernels. There is a limit on how much you can crush at once. Too much will not mix, too little will fly around in the pitcher. Try 1-2 cups at a time. That may seem slow, but the blender only takes seconds to go through each scoop. Mine is all crushed while the strike water heats.

There is nearly no such thing as too fine for BIAB. While some flour may stay in the brew, it all settles out in the fermenter if not sooner. I also use a blender for all grinding. I just watch it chop until there are no more whole kernels. There is a limit on how much you can crush at once. Too much will not mix, too little will fly around in the pitcher. Try 1-2 cups at a time. That may seem slow, but the blender only takes seconds to go through each scoop. Mine is all crushed while the strike water heats.

Ok,i gta try it! I do have both blender and food processor but no mill and i have a bulk grain buy coming soon 2 50lb bags of 2 row.
My co worker said he would crush for me but ill try it and see how my efficency is.
Thanks

I use a blender for my AG 2 gallon BIAB batches. Just the other day I turned 7 lbs to power in 10 minutes. Brew is fermenting wonderfully and I hit my numbers right on the head.

Good luck, and let us know. There are only a few of us grinding in blenders, but I have read of no bad results.

The grinder worked well. I can only put 1/2 a cup at once and it takes 2 seconds. I would not crush more than 1 lb this way. :)
I'm sure a blender will do the same job.

I use a blender for my AG 2 gallon BIAB batches. Just the other day I turned 7 lbs to power in 10 minutes. Brew is fermenting wonderfully and I hit my numbers right on the head.

Would you be able to show a pic of how fine a crush you do of the grain for example please just so I have something to go by?!
I also do 2.5 gallon batches.
Thanks

Would you be able to show a pic of how fine a crush you do of the grain for example please just so I have something to go by?!
I also do 2.5 gallon batches.
Thanks

This netted me 75% efficiency on a 30 min mash... could've been finer yet.

260801d1425480919-hoppy-wheat-overnight-mash-biab-downsized_0219051216.jpg

Ok thanks alot! I will have to give it a whirl! I usually always get high efficiency with my mash,i stir every ten-15 though for 60mins.

Latest posts

Back