For the first time adjusting a Corona Grain Mill, I think I did well.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlaineC

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So a little backstory. I've always had a 2 or three-roller mill setup. Since the wildfire, I went back to using a stone rolling pin till recently when I was given a corona mill I'm starting to get brews ready for the fair this September and wanted to get it set up so I can get a stout and porter going this weekend as well as testing out a new winter recipe. Having no clue how to set one up I spend a few hours going through all the posts on here. After reading a number of threads on here abput how to set it up. Then spending time cleaning and making a dust cover for it out of a ready-to-eat rice bowl from dollar general. I decided to set it up and test it. I used a stale batch of crushed grain from a Northern brewer kit as my reference and adjusted the mill to what I think matched pretty well. I might tighten it a wee bit more. I plan on adding some nylon washers tomorrow to make the frame firm. I'm rather happy with my results. What do you all think? My plates are currently at .042 at the lower half of the grind plates and .040 at the top. I also plan on making a new hopper for larger grain bills that I have coming up.

I like the bucket setup I saw on here Till I can afford a new 3-roller setup. This will also give me a use for the extra brewing buckets I've been given.

The jar is my reference crush from northern brewer
the second pic is .044
third is .042
Last photo is the mill with my home made dustcover.
I crushed some carapils spl I have in a baggy

Attachments

• crushreference.jpg
    crushreference.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 324158802_564037672255333_1500630173724804855_n.jpg
    324158802_564037672255333_1500630173724804855_n.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 324478285_3379726298962439_5816761806275374984_n.jpg
    324478285_3379726298962439_5816761806275374984_n.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 324220085_497749598924585_4240401124220648627_n.jpg
    324220085_497749598924585_4240401124220648627_n.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 0
I think I see some rather large pieces. Are you using a traditionally lautered tun or BIAB? If BIAB, you can go much smaller. My Corona is set so the plates barely rub each other when there's no grain.
I use a mash tun myself. I've never done a BIAB. I'll adjust the grind a little more though.

I'm brewing a few batches tomorrow
You could try a few small test batches (1 pint or so) with the different grinds and measure the hydration/conversion speed.

The coarser the grind the longer it takes to fully hydrate the (larger) endosperm bits, and the slower the conversion. Test for completion of conversion (leftover starch) using a teaspoon of your mash on a white plate with a (small) drop of Iodine. If not completed it will turn blue.

Add the test mashes to your main mash, no grain and sugar wasted. ;)

You could try a few small test batches (1 pint or so) with the different grinds and measure the hydration/conversion speed.

The coarser the grind the longer it takes to fully hydrate the (larger) endosperm bits, and the slower the conversion. Test for completion of conversion (leftover starch) using a teaspoon of your mash on a white plate with a (small) drop of Iodine. If not completed it will turn blue.

Add the test mashes to your main mash, no grain and sugar wasted. ;)
that was the plan. the corona mill is a much different beast than I'm used to

Good luck with the Corona; it’s all I have ever used. I made my dust shield from the bottom of a store-bought Hanover Green Bean can! I thought about making a larger hopper, but I don’t mind the break from hand-cranking as I refill the hopper. So far as adjusting goes, I’ve just done it on the fly; if I see whole kernels/large pieces; I tighten up. If it starts looking a little powdery; I back off. I’ve only had one stuck sparge, and all I did to overcome it was stick my spoon all the way through to the bottom a couple times to get flow.
I still covet a nice, new shiny roller mill, but as long as I am getting good beer, I postpone. Cheers! 🍻

Both good ideas on the dust shield. I bought new about 25 years ago and I still haven't lost it bought often wondered how to replace it. I just pulled mine out to give it to a friend I am introducing to brewing and I was considering whether a gap could be set. I too always adjusted it visually on the fly as it tends to loosen while milling. I would guess conditioning the grain could be helpful and it probably reduces dust quite a bit as well.

Thanks to one of our members here this is my new setup. Ended up pulling it fully apart and removing the spring clip that was set in the main arm as it was not allowing proper adjustment. after milling around a pound of old grain I was able to fine tune it for most malts. than have to sinch down more for rye and some others.
Screenshot 2023-01-25 at 13-38-55 Charlaine Cadence Nordin (@winglady87) • Instagram photos an...png

Thanks to one of our members here this is my new setup. Ended up pulling it fully apart and removing the spring clip that was set in the main arm as it was not allowing proper adjustment. after milling around a pound of old grain I was able to fine tune it for most malts. than have to sinch down more for rye and some others.
View attachment 811032
Can you post a pic of the side facing that orange thing. Seems like a big shield but I don't understand why it is bent?

Back