Special/Best Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Any thoughts on this recipe for a Special Bitter / Best Bitter?

I'm looking for a nice session beer for the kegerator that the wife and I can sip on all day long, like we did in pubs when we visited the UK last summer. I realize the hops in this recipe are a little odd for the style. But part of my goal with this brew is to see how American hops descended from English cultivars will work in an English-style ale made with primarily English malt.

The "American in England" concept also inspired the brew's name. I'm a bit of a film geek. I appreciate any thoughts on the recipe - thanks! :mug:

American Werewolf in London Bitter
----------------------------------
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons
Est OG: 1.043
Est FG: 1.011
Est ABV: 4.2%
IBU: 35

7.00 lb Maris Otter (82.35%)
1.00 lb UK Biscuit Malt (11.76%)
0.25 lb Crystal 40L (2.94%)
0.25 lb Crystal 120L (2.94%)

1.00 oz Willamette 4.0% AA @ 60 min
0.25 oz Nugget 13.0% AA @ 60 min
1.00 oz Willamette 4.0% AA @ 15 min
0.50 oz Willamette 4.0% AA @ 5 min

Mash: single infusion, 60 minutes @ 152°F. Gypsum and calcium chloride added to liquor. Batch sparge.
Boil: 60 minutes. 1 tsp Irish Moss in boil.
Yeast: S-04

Looks pretty good to me, but personally, I'd replace the biscuit with another lb M.O. and replace the Willamette with EKG.
Having said that, I'd prefer good quality Willamette to poor quality EKG, and if you want to use some existing Willamette, I've made lots of good best bitters with them.
I think the M.O. does away with the need for biscuit.

-a.

Last esb I made with biscuit turned out very well. It has a nice complex grain flavor.

I second the use of EKG hops if possible, and I also love fuggles in a bitter.

Recipe looks good, let us know how it turns out!

I agree with ajf. No need for the biscuit. My first choice if you want a UK bittering hop is Challenger. EKG would also be my choice for the main hop with WGV as runner up.

I don't know about biscuit, but if it's anything like amber, I would use less. i am drinking a bitter right this very moment with 8% amber in it, and I found it to be too much. Too heavy, almost syrupy. But I used 1469, which is a pretty malty, sweet yeast already.

Thanks, everyone. I think I'll make a compromise based on all your responses and replace 1/2 lb of Biscuit with more MO. I think I would like to keep a few ounces in there just to see how it tastes.

As for the hops, EKG would normally be my first choice for the recipe, but I've got some Willamette on hand that I need to use, along with that tiny amount of Nugget in my freezer. Maybe instead of buying more Willamette, I'll use what I've got for bittering and buy some EKG for the late additions.

Decisions, decisions ... Oh well, I've got some good info here to mull over. Thanks all!

Back