Speaking of summery lemon beers...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kypher

Reaction score
I just brewed a nice light honey beer and used the zest of a couple lemon at about the 30 minute point in the boil. Then I used 2 oz. of saaz for aroma/flavor additions accordingly but during cooling I noticed the lemon scent was much much much more prominent than I was hoping for.

I guess my question is how long until that lemony flavor and aroma starts to die off a little? Obviously I don't want it completely gone or I wouldn't have put it in there to begin with, but will the ferment eat up some of the overbearing lemon-ness?

More than likely the aroma will settle down a little during the ferm process and will probably settle down in the keg or bottle as well.. In my experience, it's best to only boil citrus ingredients during the last 10 min.. Otherwise they can get overpowering really quick.. Been there and done that with sweet orange peel..

Back