Spaten Franziskaner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TarheelBrew13

Reaction score
Anyone familiar with the yeast used in this beer. The Franz website claims its a unique wheat strain and I've also read a post by someone that claimed they bottle with a lager strain. That sounds ridiculous though.

I recently harvested yeast from a bottle of this beer and was surprised by its behavior. While I noticed some banana, it was very subtle despite my attempts to promote it.

If anyone has had experience with this yeast, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I don't have the detailed background that Franz uses, but I've made a clone using Wyeast 3638 that came out damn near identical.

I wouldn't worry about what they use for bottling. Many breweries use a different strand for that since it doesn't affect the flavor that much. I've seen several threads on here in the past that list different yeasts used by different breweries for bottling.

I don't have the detailed background that Franz uses, but I've made a clone using Wyeast 3638 that came out damn near identical.

I wouldn't worry about what they use for bottling. Many breweries use a different strand for that since it doesn't affect the flavor that much. I've seen several threads on here in the past that list different yeasts used by different breweries for bottling.

I believe they bottle condition with a lager strain because hefe yeast does not age well.

Well I'm trying to figure out which yeast I cluttered out of the bottle. It sea to behave much differently than WLP300 or WLP380 which surprised me.

Beer with hefe have a unique flavor in part because of the yeast in suspension and hefeweizen is a really old style. I'd be very surprised if a brewery like Spaten removed the hefeweizen yeast to add a lager yeast.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has harvested yeast from Franziskaner and what their results were.

The beer I made certainly doesn't taste like its made it a lager yeast. I fermented at 72 and the beer is really clean. Not what I was going for.

Also, the krausen on this beer lasted the entirety of fermentation, about a week, which I wouldn't expect from a lager yeast. I may have a combination of lager and hefe yeast.

Maybe they don't filter out the hefe yeast, they just throw in lager yeast after fermentation but before bottling. So you might be correct in thinking that you have both types of yeast.

I double pitch yeast on that schedule for a bigger beer like a Beligian, but I use the same type of yeast, just pitched twice.

Sorry, I'm not much help, just guessing along with you. Though I would be interested to know what a beer made with two competing yeasts tastes like.

My other thought was that my pitch was too high. I harvested the yeast and made only one .5 liter starter though. I guessed that would be an under pitch in my 1 gallon test batch but I could be wrong there.

Back