Sparkling "Hard" water recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still a haze but after 2 weeks in the fridge things are really clearing up.
IMG_1548.JPG

IMG_4190.jpg

Mine ended up quite a bit darker and cloudier, but I suppose that's because I didn't add the pectic enzyme until a few days before kegging. It's not actually as dark as it looks in the picture, but far from clear. Lesson learned, double check and make sure you have all of the ingredients before brew day :)

My OG was 1.043 and FG at 1.005, so also not as dry as some of yalls
this is 1 week in the keg at 20psi. Head after pouring was to the top of the glass, but went away pretty quick.

still just the ever so slight fruit notes, slight flavor and bitterness from the hops, but seems like more bitterness even from the CO2 than anything else, just a slight bite with an almost complete empty finish. SWMBO even told me that it didn't taste like anything, so a win there, mission accomplished. Gonna bring this keg and a keg of Fizzy Yellow Beer to the Mardi Gras parade tomorrow and probably get some more feedback.

View attachment 614154
Mine ended up quite a bit darker and cloudier, but I suppose that's because I didn't add the pectic enzyme until a few days before kegging. It's not actually as dark as it looks in the picture, but far from clear. Lesson learned, double check and make sure you have all of the ingredients before brew day :)

My OG was 1.043 and FG at 1.005, so also not as dry as some of yalls
this is 1 week in the keg at 20psi. Head after pouring was to the top of the glass, but went away pretty quick.

still just the ever so slight fruit notes, slight flavor and bitterness from the hops, but seems like more bitterness even from the CO2 than anything else, just a slight bite with an almost complete empty finish. SWMBO even told me that it didn't taste like anything, so a win there, mission accomplished. Gonna bring this keg and a keg of Fizzy Yellow Beer to the Mardi Gras parade tomorrow and probably get some more feedback.
Mine was tasty and had a slight peachy taste. It's an alcoholics Gatorade. Let us know how it fairs. Make sure they know it's hard water.

While I'm not a fan of those hard seltzer waters (White Claw, Mike's, etc), a number of individuals in my group of friends has recenly started drinking them, including my wife. So I decided to give "Pooch" a shot. I tapped the keg last night and I must admit, this is actually pretty darn good. I will definitely be keeping this on tap all summer.

20190316_170239.jpg

While I'm not a fan of those hard seltzer waters (White Claw, Mike's, etc), a number of individuals in my group of friends has recenly started drinking them, including my wife. So I decided to give "Pooch" a shot. I tapped the keg last night and I must admit, this is actually pretty darn good. I will definitely be keeping this on tap all summer.

View attachment 617793
Cheers! It looks like mine. I need to make more. Looks like a handful of us are in the metoo movement.

My second batch came out pretty good. I think the next step will be to add glucoamylase to dry it out as much as it'll go and Brutify it. The ladies demand as few calories as possible and I will try. Also using dried lime peel not nearly as lasting of a lime flavor as fresh, guessed that would be the case before but when there is such little flavoring to these it makes a big difference.

So I brought a bottle of my lime seltzer to my club meeting last night really curious more than anything to see what people thought and to my shock people actually liked it. I think it is time for a true 5 gallon batch of this for the nicer weather.

Kegged and tapped mine and pretty pleased with how it turned out. Tried it before kegging and the better half wanted a little more peach flavor so I added more puree and let it set for another week. Definitely going to keep this on tap through the summer.
pooch pic.jpg

Kegged and tapped mine and pretty pleased with how it turned out. Tried it before kegging and the better half wanted a little more peach flavor so I added more puree and let it set for another week. Definitely going to keep this on tap through the summer.View attachment 621172
The color is about the same as mine. In some bright lighting it almost looks clear.

At some time I think I should start just the recipe thread. I've lost track to post number with my base recipe formulation.

Probably a good idea haha. I took a little bit of everyones recipe and tailored it to what I already had. Still turned out awesome but I think a recipe thread would be a good idea.

So awesome all these creations. Pooch and that lime zest recipe sound stellar. Reccomend daddy's juice. Its cider back sweetened with black cherry juice or pomegranate juice.

I like the idea of drying it out as much as possible, for calories too.

So I brought a bottle of my lime seltzer to my club meeting last night really curious more than anything to see what people thought and to my shock people actually liked it. I think it is time for a true 5 gallon batch of this for the nicer weather.

I like the lime idea.
I do have some Moutuka hops left over.
May do a 1 gallon test patch with these and the lime zest.

Forgot to post ages ago when I did a lemon version but here is the last bottle from the test gallon batch I made. Turned out good but most of the bottles undercarbed (bad caps or bottles or both, oh well)

Attachments

• IMG_20190512_181858.jpg
    IMG_20190512_181858.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 158
I made my mango last night. I used some Crystal hops since that's what I had for sight bitterness. I use that and Willamette for my cream ale, it's subtle. I'm looking forward to trying this!

I tried a batch and my yeast keep stalling. I used some Premier Cuvee wine yeast I have a lot of, but it doesn't seem to work for what ever reason.

Anyone have a batch continually stall? I've even swirled it over several days to kick them back into gear...

I did 5 gal water, 1tbs yeast nutrient, 4lb cane sugar, 6grams yeast.

Barely dropped in gravity and it's been 3 weeks @ 70deg.
Is this a slow ferment, am I just rushing things?
Any ideas?

I tried a batch and my yeast keep stalling. I used some Premier Cuvee wine yeast I have a lot of, but it doesn't seem to work for what ever reason.

Anyone have a batch continually stall? I've even swirled it over several days to kick them back into gear...

I did 5 gal water, 1tbs yeast nutrient, 4lb cane sugar, 6grams yeast.

Barely dropped in gravity and it's been 3 weeks @ 70deg.
Is this a slow ferment, am I just rushing things?
Any ideas?

May batch of mango hooch seemed to stall. I used US-05 which usually is a champ. I suspect it was how I used my yeast nutrient. The directions said to add it a couple of days after fermentation started, but I was like gimme a break and tossed it in at yeast pitch. I’ve never seen yeast start so quick, but I think in my case that might not have been a good thing.

Tonight I made a big batch of peach and a big batch of mango with plans on having 3 kegs at the end with an approx 3 gallon blended keg.

The last mango batch came out great and is going fast!

Attachments

• IMG_20190607_135324.jpg
    IMG_20190607_135324.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 148
Last edited:
I'm going to be brewing a peach and black cherry version of this tomorrow. Does anyone have recommendations on if it's ok to add the cherries directly to the kettle without removing the pits? I will remove the stems, but unsure if I should mash up the cherries for better extraction and remove the pits? I will be putting the peach slices in a blender as previously recommended. Any help is appreciated

I'm going to be brewing a peach and black cherry version of this tomorrow. Does anyone have recommendations on if it's ok to add the cherries directly to the kettle without removing the pits? I will remove the stems, but unsure if I should mash up the cherries for better extraction and remove the pits? I will be putting the peach slices in a blender as previously recommended. Any help is appreciated
Personally I would remove the pits, but that is just me.

Another lower effort option would be cherry juice

Are you guys generally following Schlenkerla's recipe? Going to give this a shot this week to keg up for the beach for Labor Day. Planning to up the corn syrup a bit but still use a little honey. Might try a lime - motueka combo like someone mentioned above.

Has anyone also tried some gelatin to really get it clear? Will probably use something clean like s05 to ferment

Are you guys generally following Schlenkerla's recipe? Going to give this a shot this week to keg up for the beach for Labor Day. Planning to up the corn syrup a bit but still use a little honey. Might try a lime - motueka combo like someone mentioned above.

Has anyone also tried some gelatin to really get it clear? Will probably use something clean like s05 to ferment
Try the gelatin. That's a good idea.

BTW. - I'm following his recipe..... LoL

Schlenkerla how much of that acid blend did you add for 5 gallons? Going to use some citric acid crystals, debating best way to figure out amount to get pH down in the 5's

Edit: Nevermind found your post with amounts

Last edited:
Here is another approach to consider that mimics the big boys; send this stuff through RO filters before adding flavors.
It will require putting together an RO system like such: https://soulyrested.com/2019/01/08/build-your-own-reverse-osmosis-system-for-maple-syrup/

Malt base: Brew a high gravity batch with 6-row
Gluten Free base: Brew a high gravity batch with sugar (corn syrup, table sugar, whatever)

Ferment with high attenuating yeast. Crash cool and rack off to a keg.

Connect outlet of keg to your RO system.
Connect CO2 to keg and put 50 psi on it.

Connect permeate line to a secondary vessel.

Dose in flavors, back sweeten if necessary and blend with water to your specifications. Rack off to your keg and force carbonate.

has the drinking "sliced fruit" in the water bottle fazed out?
1 peach
1 nectarine
2 gal natural spring water
2lb bag brown sugar
11.5 saflager s-23 packet
2 gal pastic bucket with lid

slice the fruit up and cube, bring water to boil to kill any bugs and chill. dump diced fruit into liquid along with the 2lb brown sugar while water is warm in the 2 gal pale. stir up to dissolve sugar and get some oxygen into liquid. once reach ambient temp, pitch yeast wait a bit and gently stir then cover without snapping lid shut. placed in shed (house too hot), temp varied 50f-63ish. nature is my icebox/fridge. pop the top took a peek 5th day foam dissolved but still bubbling to the surface. bucket cold to the touch day 8. no bubbles surfacing. sampled a few shots. tasted like capri sun juice. bottled up into few empty apple juice containers and tossed in fridge and enjoyed chilled juice while cutting logs and piling up cords of firewood.
I don't have a hydrometer to read gravity. if it looks done, taste good. drink it..

Going to try this tonight with 30 min boil and s05 as yeast-
5lb corn syrup
1lb honey
0.25oz magnum at 30min
0.5oz motueka at 5min
zest from 8 fresh limes at flameout

I'll add gypsum & citric acid to the water during heat-up, use irish moss & yeast nutrient during boil, then add pectic enzyme when I pitch yeast

Going to try this tonight with 30 min boil and s05 as yeast-
5lb corn syrup
1lb honey
0.25oz magnum at 30min
0.5oz motueka at 5min
zest from 8 fresh limes at flameout

I'll add gypsum & citric acid to the water during heat-up, use irish moss & yeast nutrient during boil, then add pectic enzyme when I pitch yeast
Good Plan!!!

Hate always asking this. But what post number has the recipe? I just tasted a simple lemon juice and cane sugar with S04 and it smelled like a sewage treatment plant even after CO2 stripping it. My first dumper.

Yikes after second quick read I see several. Well guess I know what I’m doing at work tomorrow.

Last edited:
Hate always asking this. But what post number has the recipe? I just tasted a simple lemon juice and cane sugar with S04 and it smelled like a sewage treatment plant even after CO2 stripping it. My first dumper.

Yikes after second quick read I see several. Well guess I know what I’m doing at work tomorrow.
Start with my post.... #30.

I just read this entire thread. First of all, awesome can’t wait to make this. Second of all, great ideas guys. Third, any ideas for a cherry lime version.

Here is another approach to consider that mimics the big boys; send this stuff through RO filters before adding flavors.
It will require putting together an RO system like such: https://soulyrested.com/2019/01/08/build-your-own-reverse-osmosis-system-for-maple-syrup/

Malt base: Brew a high gravity batch with 6-row
Gluten Free base: Brew a high gravity batch with sugar (corn syrup, table sugar, whatever)

Ferment with high attenuating yeast. Crash cool and rack off to a keg.

Connect outlet of keg to your RO system.
Connect CO2 to keg and put 50 psi on it.

Connect permeate line to a secondary vessel.

Dose in flavors, back sweeten if necessary and blend with water to your specifications. Rack off to your keg and force carbonate.

I tried this before and it didn’t get rid of all the color and still tasted a little like beer. I used malt and not sugar.

Latest posts

Back