Sparkling "Hard" water recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve decided to make this for my next batch. I’m going to use mango purée, so mine will be Mooch. I think I’ll use a little more fruit in mine. I want the flavor to be a little more evident than Schlenkerla described, but still subtle. When I get my recipe worked up, I’ll share it and publish the results there after.

Mooch sounds great! Looking forward to hearing about your results!

Don't be a smart ass....

.... Don't be a smart ass......

Don't......

...... That's a wasp and not a bee!
Yeah, I had many people tell me that. LOL
difference-between-wasps-bees-hornets-yellow-jackets.jpeg
CFfcpy6VEAApJxL.jpeg

Mooch sounds great! Looking forward to hearing about your results!
Same here.
I’ve decided to make this for my next batch. I’m going to use mango purée, so mine will be Mooch. I think I’ll use a little more fruit in mine. I want the flavor to be a little more evident than Schlenkerla described, but still subtle. When I get my recipe worked up, I’ll share it and publish the results there after.
A lower attenuating yeast might be in order. Like a sweet mead.

Vierka is one that I want to try for this.

Try googling vierka dry yeast

http://davespicks.com/writing/mme/yeast.html

The best sweet cider I made was from Vierka dry yeast.

Here’s what I came up with. I really like US-05 so I’m subbing that. I’m also going to use lemon juice instead of acidifier. I kind of guessed on how much. I’m bringing down my IBUs to a little over 10 too because I want more of the aromatics from the hops.

Hoochie Mama Mango Hooch
2.25 gallons/2 gallons collected
12 IBU
~3 SRM
Expected OG 1.037
Expected FG 1.002
ABV after bottle priming 5%
Nestle Pure Life water
1/4 tsp. Gypsum
16 oz. Karo light corn syrup with vanilla
16 oz. Mango purée
16 oz. Clover honey
1/4 teaspoon irish moss 15m (boil start)
1/2 oz. Northern Brewer 8m
2 1/2 Lemons juiced FO
1/4 tsp. Yeast energizer
1 tsp. Pectic enzyme
1 pkg. US-05

Last edited:
Thanks for the response guys. I’m figuring since my theoretical start is a few points lower that I’ll come down to around 1.003. I’ll pick up the ingredients this weekend and probably brew next weekend. I’m a little on the fence about whether I’ll use the lemons at all. I think I’ll taste the mango purée and go from there. My sense is that mangoes can be pretty tart to begin with and I don’t want to overdo it.

Thanks for the response guys. I’m figuring since my theoretical start is a few points lower that I’ll come down to around 1.003. I’ll pick up the ingredients this weekend and probably brew next weekend. I’m a little on the fence about whether I’ll use the lemons at all. I think I’ll taste the mango purée and go from there. My sense is that mangoes can be pretty tart to begin with and I don’t want to overdo it.

I would say that's a good cautious choice. for a 1 gal batch the only flavoring I used was the zest of 2 limes and I didn't really zest them completely anyway and I'd say you can pick up the flavor in a subtle but present way. This recipe is so neutral (I didn't even use the honey) that a little goes a long way.

I would say that's a good cautious choice. for a 1 gal batch the only flavoring I used was the zest of 2 limes and I didn't really zest them completely anyway and I'd say you can pick up the flavor in a subtle but present way. This recipe is so neutral (I didn't even use the honey) that a little goes a long way.

I’ve only used honey once in brewing, it was in my White House Ale that I converted to AG. The flavor that I got was one that I perceived as sweet. My thought is that the round perceived “sweetness” will mix well with the mango. I think like you if I was doing a lime hard seltzer that I wouldn’t use the honey because it would mute the crisp acidity of the lime.

I would still recommend using the acid blend to make the fruit pop a little more. Acidity is supposed to help with that. That advice was lifted off of one of Charlie Papazian's mead recipes in "The Complete Joy of Brewing Handbook".

I don't think it hurts if you plan to use a fruit in this.

Maybe a mead maker can chime in here.

I would still recommend using the acid blend to make the fruit pop a little more. Acidity is supposed to help with that. That advice was lifted off of one of Charlie Papazian's mead recipes in "The Complete Joy of Brewing Handbook".

I don't think it hurts if you plan to use a fruit in this.

Maybe a mead maker can chime in here.

No I think you’re right. I think that mangoes aren’t terribly acidic, I also forgot to put peptic enzyme in my recipe. I’ll correct my recipe post.

I picked up my ingredients. I’m using baby food mangoes which I think is a great value for pure fruit without additives. The yeast energizer I got said to rehydrate and add at 1/2 way through fermentation. It’s fermaid k. I’ve seen that there’s a fermaid o. I don’t know which one is more appropriate for hard seltzer, but I’m sure it’s probably the other one. I also bought some grocery store honey. On my way home I got some honey from a roadside vendor, but I’m still using the grocery store for the hard seltzer. I would like to try making a mead at some point and am glad I found a local raw honey supplier.
IMG_0001.JPG

I picked up my ingredients. I’m using baby food mangoes which I think is a great value for pure fruit without additives. The yeast energizer I got said to rehydrate and add at 1/2 way through fermentation. It’s fermaid k. I’ve seen that there’s a fermaid o. I don’t know which one is more appropriate for hard seltzer, but I’m sure it’s probably the other one. I also bought some grocery store honey. On my way home I got some honey from a roadside vendor, but I’m still using the grocery store for the hard seltzer. I would like to try making a mead at some point and am glad I found a local raw honey supplier.View attachment 599532
That's a good idea. Never thought of that. I'm wondering if the market pantry near me has that on the cheap. I will say preservative free cling peaches were dang cheap too.

That's a good idea. Never thought of that. I'm wondering if the market pantry near me has that on the cheap. I will say preservative free cling peaches were dang cheap too.

I’m sure that canned fruit that’s not baby food would be cheaper, but the baby food selection was really great and no additives or chemicals. Good piece of mind for a small amount of money. Of course I’m brewing 2 gallon batches. If I actually wanted to do say a banana wine even at 2 gallons, it would probably be better to just use fresh bananas. And for the hard seltzer it’s just a flavoring not the main fermentable.

I love this idea, it'd almost be a weak watered down wine with the pureed fruit, but using beer yeast. keep us posted!

Just saw this thread.
Made a few batches of alco pop brews when I was young and dumb and had a better half who didn't drink beer.

Approximately 20l batch

Still spits vodka yeast
7kg sugar 5kg start and then .500g every two days.
Fermented Bellow 15'c till fermentation
Post fermentation degass

Add 20g of the finest activated carbon you can find drug stores are a good source ( sub 50 mircon)

Allow to stand for 3 weeks as cold as one can.( I use a fridge set at 4'c)

20g of gelatine to clear. Repeat if needed.

Now the fun part comes .

Flavour as needed.
Pink:
Hibiscus flowers 50g
Sweetner to taste
200g pink grape fruit concentrate
( pulpless)
100g (orange concentrate pulpless)
Mix with the "wash"
Allow to stand 1 week .

Red/ purple
100g pureed marichino cherries and their liquid.
200g dark canned cherries no liquid
Sweetner to taste.

Blue
50ml blue food colouring
( 500ml bols blue to make it boozier )
1 lemon grass ( fresh and crushed )
1 fresh coconut choped into big cubes.
1l clear apple juice ( naturally swetned )
Sweetner to taste
2 weeks aging

Citrus
75g orange zest
75g lemonzest
75g grapefruit zest
100g like zest
50 g crushed lemongrass
10g liquid ginger
About a week aging ( taste till you are happy)
Sweetner to taste.

Bottle
( 1pkt champagne yeast in 1l of water 100g sugar ) allow to form a starter for 2 hours
Add 1ml of said liquid to each bottle
Leave for 3 weeks and enjoy.

Hope it helps

Here’s what I came up with. I really like US-05 so I’m subbing that. I’m also going to use lemon juice instead of acidifier. I kind of guessed on how much. I’m bringing down my IBUs to a little over 10 too because I want more of the aromatics from the hops.

Hoochie Mama Mango Hooch
2.25 gallons/2 gallons collected
12 IBU
~3 SRM
Expected OG 1.037
Expected FG 1.002
ABV after bottle priming 5%
Nestle Pure Life water
1/4 tsp. Gypsum
16 oz. Karo light corn syrup with vanilla
16 oz. Mango purée
16 oz. Clover honey
1/4 teaspoon irish moss 15m (boil start)
1/2 oz. Northern Brewer 8m
2 1/2 Lemons juiced FO
1/4 tsp. Yeast energizer
1 tsp. Pectic enzyme
1 pkg. US-05

I'm going to put together something similar this weekend to have ready for the superbowl. Fiance doesn't like mango though so I may just use some lime juice in place or puree some raspberries in place of the mango.

I'm going to put together something similar this weekend to have ready for the superbowl. Fiance doesn't like mango though so I may just use some lime juice in place or puree some raspberries in place of the mango.

Make 5 gallons. It will go quick. Make sure you add the treatments i mentioned.

Roll back to post #43....

Gypsum -1 tsp - water heat-up
Yeast nutrient/energizer - tsp - water heat up
Acid blend - 1 tsp - water heat up
Irish Moss - 1 tsp at end of boil
Pectic enzyme - 1 tsp at yeast pitching

Last edited:
I finally brewed this. I made a big rookie error and used the second bottle of Karo syrup that I had bought for priming sugar. My OG came in at 1.059, so the ABV will be above 7%. Last night I thought I’d add water at bottling but now I’m thinking I’ll just bottle as is.

My wife didn’t like the name Hoochie Mama, so I renamed it “Skinny Chick”.

I finally brewed this. I made a big rookie error and used the second bottle of Karo syrup that I had bought for priming sugar. My OG came in at 1.059, so the ABV will be above 7%. Last night I thought I’d add water at bottling but now I’m thinking I’ll just bottle as is.

My wife didn’t like the name Hoochie Mama, so I renamed it “Skinny Chick”.
Bottle as is, no dilution... Helps you get lucky or in trouble faster.
:D

Really smells nice. The Northern Brewer hops started off smelling quite sharp, but the aroma is very citrusy and pleasantly rounded now. It’s still working after a week. I think it’s going to go more on a cider schedule rather than a beer schedule.

2 weeks in and the yeast is starting to drop. I guess the fermentaid is working. I know most hard seltzers are clear like water, but the fluorescent yellow that it’s turning out is pretty badass. Unless the alcohol is really hot, I won’t dilute this.

2 weeks in and the yeast is starting to drop. I guess the fermentaid is working. I know most hard seltzers are clear like water, but the fluorescent yellow that it’s turning out is pretty badass. Unless the alcohol is really hot, I won’t dilute this.
We .......
..............Need
.......................Pitchers
..................................... Of
...........................................Fluorescent
................................................................Yeller!
:D

people are still making hard water? didn't know this was still going...i'm running low on beer and haven't had hard lemonaid in a while...

Would i be cheating if i use this to make it?

100_0551.jpg

i can make a pretty good 'Hard Lemonaid' with wheat germ for nutes, and some odd amount of sugar to get a 16% wash. get a gallon of 65% add 5 cups to a keg and 2 quarts of lemon juice concentrate, and like 2 cups of sugar...

I think that's what the OP is after! for his girlies taster....

I am gearing up to make another gallon of this as it was pretty well received.

I am thinking of a few things:

Still going to make it a lime flavor, I really enjoyed it.
May add a bit of hibiscus tea for color/tannins.
May use a bit of Agave with the corn syrup.
I may dry hop this one with a LOW amount of dry hops, something fruity, or maybe a touch of the hop hash I have on hand.

If I nail it down I will probably start rotating this into the pipeline in 5 gallon batches for the non-beer ladies.

Five weeks in and my spidey sense says bottle this weekend. There is clearly still yeast in suspension, but fermentation is also clearly complete. Will update on Sunday with FG and flavor descriptors.View attachment 608842
I think drinks like this would probably benefit from some highly flocculant strains like S04. It's also fairly cheap, will give it a try at one point.

I think drinks like this would probably benefit from some highly flocculant strains like S04. It's also fairly cheap, will give it a try at one point.

I used US-05 with this. I it should work out pretty well to have a decent yeast load for bottle conditioning. And then it drops pretty hard when refrigerated.

schlenkerla- boiled up some “pooch” this morning with some minor adjustments for no reason other than I was curious. I put half the peaches and honey into the blender and added those at flameout along with the other can of peaches(just dumped that right in). I’m a little concerned that I didn’t have any more pectic enzyme (realized that today)and wondering how cloudy this will end up being as a result. Wondering if I should go get some enzyme and add it later or if I could just cold crash for a week or 2 and have it clear up “enough”. I don’t imagine there would be much of a taste difference being cloudy vs. clear though. Thoughts?

I finally got around to bottling this today. I was very surprised with my FG. 1.021!! I can only assume that the mangoes have a rather large load of unfermentable starches. It is still hazy. Perhaps more pectic enzyme was in order. It tastes nice. Very dry, not hot at all. The hydrometer sample has quite a lot of yeast in it, so the clarity is not representative of what the final product will look like. I expect that it will be less hazy than an NEIPA, but a little more hazy than a dry hopped West Coast IPA.View attachment 610706View attachment 610707

schlenkerla- boiled up some “pooch” this morning with some minor adjustments for no reason other than I was curious. I put half the peaches and honey into the blender and added those at flameout along with the other can of peaches(just dumped that right in). I’m a little concerned that I didn’t have any more pectic enzyme (realized that today)and wondering how cloudy this will end up being as a result. Wondering if I should go get some enzyme and add it later or if I could just cold crash for a week or 2 and have it clear up “enough”. I don’t imagine there would be much of a taste difference being cloudy vs. clear though. Thoughts?
I'd do the pectic enzyme as soon as possible. The flame out heat will create a pectic haze since its over the pectin set temp of 140F or 160F. (Don't remember that threshold) Without it, that haze won't go away. If you make a fruited wheat beer remember to add this to it too.

Add the required amount into a 1/2 cup of distilled water, mix well, and pour it in as soon as possible. I think it would work after the yeast finishes, but definitely before kegging, bottling or chilling. The enzyme will gas out a little.

I make a Triple Hopped Miller Light clone with amylase enzyme (AE) and it bubbles for a few weeks. I let the yeast ferment one week and then secondary with AE is renews the air lock activity for several days, up to two weeks.

So, I don't know if that same thing happens with pectic enzyme. I would assume it does. Ok - No bottlebombs!

BTW - My clone recipe used to be my pull down on the html desktop version.

Last edited:
Sorry I didn't see this earlier. [emoji30]

So I opened a bottle of this super early. In all of my batches, this one concerns me most for bottle bombs. I opened one bottle warm to see where I’m at and tasted it on ice. Man, this stuff is super delicious. It reminds me if Sparkling Ice. I’ll try another one this weekend. If it’s finished carbing, I’m calling it.
IMG_1510.JPG

I am going to take another stab at this tonight. 1 gallon batch and will follow the procedure from my first attempt below, however as I am saving the last of my nelson will use a different hop or maybe a pinch of hop hash. May also add a touch of agave to see if that brings anything to the table. Will sub 1/2 oz dried lime peel for the zest because I'm lazy. This might be my last 1 gallon go the last one got good feedback so I might take the plunge and produce 5 gallons next time if the recipe is solid again. Also I am only going to boil 15 minutes because there was no need for 30. I will pitch more yeast as well, I am impatient.

5L h20
20oz corn syrup with vanilla
1/4 campden tab
1 pinch gypsum
1 pinch acid blend
1/4 tsp yeast energizer
Zest of 2 limes
4.27g Nelson sauvin hops

Boil 30 minutes
Add corn syrup and bring to boil
@ 15 minutes add yeast energizer
Flameout cool to 160F
Add hops in boiled hop spyder
Stir spider 10 minutes, remove
Cool to pitching temp
When transferring to Carboy save one cup
Add one teaspoon S33 to reserve cup
Stir reserve and pitch
Shake jug add airlock

Take more pictures when you pour one of them!

Definitely still has a bit of haze, but not a chill haze. This stuff carbonated really fast, one week. I think that it might have been a truly stuck fermentation. All the bottles are in the fridge now and I’ll drink these pretty fast. If I was was to do this again, I would put in the nutrient after 3 days of fermentation like the instructions said, instead of when I pitched the yeast. I would also use more pectic enzyme to reduce the haze a little bit more. The lemon juice is awesome, hops are perfect (subtle but present). The honey is also welcome and provides a subtle sweetness.

IMG_1516.JPG

Back