Sparging!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dokken5

Reaction score
So how does this sparge work? I am doing fly sparge but my numbers are not very good. Do you just keep running water through the grain until it is completely clear and then boil off the excess water? I used a set amount and I don't think I got much of the sugars out of the grain as I could have.

Depends on your setup. For me, I have a 5 gallon cooler for my mash tun, so I have to fly sparge due to space limitations. To get good efficiency (75%), it takes me about an 1:45. If I push it to 2 hours, I usually get 85-90%. This will usually give me about 6.5 gallons of preboil.

I use this to get my numbers (sparge volume): http://www.brew365.com/mash_sparge_water_calculator.php

But do you just boil off your excess water, or do you have a calculated amount before you start?

For a 10G batch i target 13 in the kettle, about 11.5G post boil and 10.5 in the ferms. Divide by 2 for 5G. These are ballpark. I've dialed it in over the years.

I generally lose ~1 gallon over a 60 minute boil, so I always try to start with 6.5g. I do 5.5 into my primary fermenter as it allows me to put a full 5 gallons into secondary if I use one, while leaving as much yeast cake and trub, as I can, behind.

So how does this sparge work? I am doing fly sparge but my numbers are not very good. Do you just keep running water through the grain until it is completely clear and then boil off the excess water? I used a set amount and I don't think I got much of the sugars out of the grain as I could have.

Your sparge volume should be close to your batch size. You can determine your mash efficiency by comparing your mash gravity to this chart:

first_wort_gravity-57692.gif

You should be between 90-100% of the chart value. And yes, since water evaporates during the boil you are going to boil off excess water.

Back