Sparge question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heshtodd

Reaction score
So I just did two all grain brews, Bavarian Heffe Weizen and an Irish Red Ale. I'm unsure why my recipe didn't show any mash out directions on the Irish Red Ale, and if I should avoid a mashout for that and why? Another question, How do I know how much sparge water to use, and also mashout water seems to be about half the infuse amount. Is that correct?

What type of sparging system are you performing? If you are batch sparging then mashout is not absolute but raising the grain bed temperature seems to help the sugars dissolve a bit better. A little more information would help.

Or a lot more information. All grain? Partial mash? sparge water is usually less than strike water simply because the grain has absorbed water from the strike, which decreases your runnings from the initial volume but not the sparge.

As I said in the original post I did two "all grain" brews. So my question why would I not do a mashout.

Latest posts

Back