Spa panel (GFCI) and Braumeister 50L?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewzombie

Reaction score
I have a 50L Braumeister (15A) and will be brewing with 240v connected by an extension cord to my stove outlet. The connections are all setup for nema 14-50. I would like to use a GFCI, but don't understand what I need and how I would set it up. I think I would cut the extension cord and wire the spa panel inline, but cannot find clear instructions on how this would work with the braumeister 240v setup, which uses red hot, black hot, ground and no neutral. Can someone tell me what I need to buy and how to wire it. I'm in Canada and the least expensive one I've seen so far is the following ($100), but I'm not sure it would be appropriate for my application. Any advice? I would really appreciate it.

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B001735VC6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
What did you end up doing? I am in a similar boat :(

I ended up building an extension cord with an inline 240v gfci. The spa panel was too expensive and confusing for me and the gfci extension cord was easy and reasonably priced. I don't remember any wiring details but I can post a pic if you want.

I ended up building an extension cord with an inline 240v gfci. The spa panel was too expensive and confusing for me and the gfci extension cord was easy and reasonably priced. I don't remember any wiring details but I can post a pic if you want.

That would be awesome, where did you find the inline gfci?

That would be awesome, where did you find the inline gfci?

This is not the same as mine, but was what inspired mine:
http://www.gfcistore.com/20-amp-inline-gfcis.html

I only needed 20A for a 50L braumeister so mine is about the same. I got mine non-wired from a local guy. I can take a pic and get the brand later tonight. I just have to remember when I'm home. Mine ended up costing about the same as off-the-shelf though. I just didn't seem to have easy access in Canada for off-the-shelf.

Thanks, unfortunately I will need 30A, but I may e- mail that company to see if they offer any larger sizes

:mug:

Back