Sous Vide mash anybody?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Correct, I have not noticed any carmelization on the element
Awesome, thank you for the confirmation. Guess I will give it a try next BIAB to hopefully keep the mash temperature under tighter control and not even need the burner. Have a good holiday!

I've had the same thought. Home brewers are not a big market, but it would not entail any major changes, perhaps a "value added" brewer's kit. I must say however that if I were designing something specifically for home brewers, it would be significantly different. It would be robust enough to handle being immersed directly in the mash without the need for screens. The element would be "low density"... I believe that's the term for an element designed for low wattage per area. 800 watts is far more power than is needed to maintain mash temp. It would incorporate an external outlet that would allow you to control an induction hotplate, or some other external heat source so that you could go with a lot of wattage to heat the water to strike temp, then it's own internal heating element to maintain mash temp, and it would interface with brew software that would allow you to punch in weight of grain, and mash temp to calculate strike temp. The circulating vane assembly would be a propeller like a boat prop that would push straight down, and the motor would be designed to handle more load.
The BIAB sous vide would be designed first as a brewing device, and second as a cooking device, as the rigors of brewing are greater than those of cooking, though the level of precision is the same.

H.W.

I definitely think that there is some opportunity here. It would be fun to pursue, but it seems like the all-in-one brewing systems have all the attention right now. However, I would love something turn key to help with mash temperature control, circulation, and step mashing without having to build an entire HERMS system with a pump. A "mash vide" device seems like a good way to go from "traditional" mashing to something better without going all the way to building a new system.

Sale coming up for those interested.

Anova Sous Vide

"The Black Friday Countdown is On.
Tick tock. Black Friday is almost here and you don’t want to miss out on this year’s savings. Get the Precision Cooker Bluetooth for just $99–no joke. Mark your calendars, food nerds, because holiday supplies are limited."

https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-cooker/?utm_source=01.+Primary+Marketing+List&utm_campaign=b99d1a6987-PreBF_Email&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f33347b916-b99d1a6987-100126941&ct=t%28PreBF_Email%29&goal=0_f33347b916-b99d1a6987-100126941&mc_cid=b99d1a6987&mc_eid=d5d9437edf

Amazon has them for the same price, $129 (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UKPBXM4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20). Thats the 800 watt bluetooth version. Not sure if $20 more for the 900 watt wifi version is worth it.

For those mashing with the sous vide heaters, don't you really have to recirculate the wort so it doesn't just get hot around the heater itself? When I do my first batch I plan to put my Anova heater by my kettle outlet, then pump back to the other side of the kettle.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my setup, I haven't cooked yet, but I did a test today and worked like a charm :)

anova 1.jpg

anova 2.jpg

Nice setup. That's the same sous vide heater I have, guess I need to use it for mashing in.

I've quit using the Annova during the mash. It's a great way to heat strike water to a precise temp, but I've concluded that there is little if any advantage of circulating during the mash. I did a BIAB RIMS system of sorts some time back, and found it to be a nuisance with the bag fabric clogging, and the same was true with the Annova mash when I tried to circulate through the bag. I've always returned to "simple". Wrap the kettle in foam, and set it in a warm place........... simple and reliable.

H.W.

Back