Souring a beer thats done fermenting.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krops13

Reaction score
I made 10 gallons of a cream and kegged 5 gallons leaving 5 in the fermentor. (Ran out of kegs) So after the keg kicked I went to add the remainder of the cream to find out it got infected some how. It smells ALOT like apples and tastes a little tart and is really dry. So I thought I could turn it into a sour of some kind. My plan is to add some LME and get a lambic vile from white labs. How many points should I bring it up for the bacteria to do its thing and what extra steps should I take (ie oxygen?).

krops13 said:
I made 10 gallons of a cream and kegged 5 gallons leaving 5 in the fermentor. (Ran out of kegs) So after the keg kicked I went to add the remainder of the cream to find out it got infected some how. It smells ALOT like apples and tastes a little tart and is really dry. So I thought I could turn it into a sour of some kind. My plan is to add some LME and get a lambic vile from white labs. How many points should I bring it up for the bacteria to do its thing and what extra steps should I take (ie oxygen?).

I would simply pitch the vile into the carboy. The bugs will eat what the sacc cannot eat and will give some funk and sourness; just gotta let it eat. Don't introduce oxygen as it will allow acetobacter to produce vinegar over time. A pelicle will form to protect from oxygen. Good luck!!

Cheers!

Back