Souring a beer in a keg- questions on process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGRUGBY

Reaction score
I plan on brewing Ballast Point's Tripel. Recipe here-https://www.ballastpoint.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Belgian-Tripel-All-Grain-Recipe.pdf
I was then thinking of souring it with Wyeast 5526 (cherry pie flavor).

I have one fermentation vessel and don't want to tie it up for as long as souring a beer takes. So I was thinking of fermenting the tripel as normal, then transferring it to a keg and souring it in the keg with Wyeast 5526 in my basement at ~64F for 6 months to a year. I have plenty of kegs, so I can make a dedicated keg/tap to sour beers. I'm more so wondering if it would sour in a keg like that. If I closed transferred it to limit oxygen, would it still sour but with less of a pellicle so that I could also serve straight from that keg without worrying about a pellicle clogging anything?

Other thoughts or tips?
I could also restrict my ale yeast from reaching terminal gravity so that the sour bugs have something more to start with. I could also add puree'd cherries to it while transferring as well.

Thank you!

To be clear that yeast pack (Brett Lambicus) isn't technically "sour bugs". Brett is (with relation to cleaning and infection) just like sacc yeast and can be treated as such with regards to cleaning and sanitization. If your cleaning game is on point, brett will killed off just like sacc during your routine gear prep.

Back