Sourcing Clone Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustatorian

Reaction score
Is there somewhere (on this site or elsewhere) that gives clone recipes for beers that are predominantly trusted as accurate/close to accurate?

For example, when you search for a clone beer through this site, you get multiple threads with several anecdotal attempts to recreate it. It's difficult to sift through. Is there a place to find clone recipes that have been tested by multiple, credible homebrewers that are considered to be the optimal interpretation of a specific commercial beer?

What's the fun in that? And would it be that simple?

A lot of our banter on (clone) recipes has to do with process and interpretation of the results. There's no easy 1:1 translation, even if we had the real recipe from the brewer. The ones they hand out may not be what they actually brew.

Clonebrews has a ton of recipes. Although it's from 2010 and becoming dated if you're looking for something newer. https://www.amazon.com/dp/160342539X/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

This site switched to a real crappie way of organizing their recipes 6 months ago.... Been hoping they'd switch back.

Anyway, just use Google and search for "[beer name] clone recipe" plus/- "homebrewtalk". That will show you what you're looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the fun in that? And would it be that simple?

A lot of our banter on (clone) recipes has to do with process and interpretation of the results. There's no easy 1:1 translation, even if we had the real recipe from the brewer. The ones they hand out may not be what they actually brew.

Totally agree! I'm just riffing, but what if there was some type of forum (reddit-style) in which recipe interpretations are up-voted and down-voted. It may not be what a commercial brewery does verbatim, but rather an interpretation on a homebrew scale that best reflects that specified beer. Brewing is like any other art form–you can tell 100 different people to do exactly everything they need to do to replicate a finished product, and you'll still get 100 different results.

There is a podcast series by Jamil Zainasheff called something like "Can you brew it?" where they clone commercial recipes.

We have a few links here on the site, but I"m sure you could listen to the whole podcast on certain clones if you would like.

The HBT Can you brew it database has links to the recipes and comments:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=178064

I've brewed several of these, including Mirror Pond and Fuller's London Pride. I preferred my versions compared to the originals, so don't worry if your clone doesn't come out exactly the same. Brewing clones and then doing the comparison to the original is a good way to improve your brewing. I wish the BN would bring that show back.

Hya Guys,
Here's a clone recipe that is exactly accurate to the original.
Jaipur IPA from Thornbridge Brewery England. It was given to me by the brewer, so, I reckon it's spot on.
Grain Bill
5.95 K Marris Otter malt
198g Vienna malt
Mash 66 degrees for 90 minutes.
Boils for 75 minutes.

Hop schedule.
13g Northern Brewer
12 g Centennial
10g Amarill all for full boil

Last 45 minutes
12G Northern Brewer
12g Centennial