Sour taste after fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mychalg9

Reaction score
I made my first AG batch (BIAB SMaSH recipe) two weeks ago and its been fermenting for 14 days now. After 10 days I took a sample for a hydro reading and it tasted great. Two days later I took another sample and it looked like fermentation had stopped, but the sample tasted soured (cant remember if it was lemony or apple-y). There are also chunks of break material(I assume) floating at the top of the liquid. If this is an infection, what would the telltale signs be? Would fermentation kill any bacteria that existed before it started?(Im trying to narrow down where an infection would have come from.....). Is it possible that the taste will fade over time? Im not sure what other details to mention. Im thinking about dry hopping 1 oz of Cascade but am worried that it will be waste if the batch is ruined.

Recipe Details:
10# Maris Otter 3 oz Cascade(60, 15, 5 min) US-05 Yeast
155F Mash - pitched at 70 degrees, fermented around 68-70 deg

My 1st AG (also a BIAB) had a sour-ish taste as well early on. I determined that it was probably from over sparging and probably also sparging too hot...ie more husky/astringency than infection. This taste did fade over time. I think carbonation helped, either to hide the flavor, or maybe the yeasties cleaned up after themselve in the amt of time it had to sit. Not sure if that is helpful in your situation where the taste showed up later rather than right away, but good luck.

Ok thanks for the info Nikkimaija. I will probably bottle and age like normal just to see what happens anyways, I just wanted to see what people on here thought

Back