Sour Mashing Guide with a Gose Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe_CraftBeerTraders

Reaction score
I have become a big fan of Sour Mash and Kettle Souring as a home brewer for simple style beers like Gose and Berliner Weisse beers. Its quick and simple and you dont need any extra equipment to do so. So this past weekend I brewed a Gose using the Sour Mash technique and wrote up a step by step on my process. I copied it here from my blog post so you guys dont have to go site hopping.

IMG_3339-300x225.jpg

"Sours" and "Funky" beers have really taken off in the Craft Beer culture over the past few years. You can go to your local store and buy styles like Gose and Berliner Weisse in cans with ease. We have seen the same trends in Home Brewing. More and more home brewers are brewing traditional lambics right in their garages. These beers take knowledge, dedication and and mostly time with some styles sitting for multiple years. For those home brewers who want to try their hands in making a "Sour" but are not ready to commit years and dedicate equipment and space to it, Sour Mashing is a technique worth exploring.

So what is Sour Mashing? Its a technique for adding acidity to a beer before boiling and fermentation begins by adding lactic acid to the mash once the mashing process is complete. There are a couple ways of introducing lactic acid; pitch a commercial vial of Lactobacillus that you can find at your local home brew store, or by pitching some unmilled grain which is the method we used in this article. This is one of my favorite sources of information written by home brewers and commercial brewers.

Before we get into the Sour Mash brew day I wanted to answer some questions that I myself had before I started exploring brewing "Sours". My first question was Do I need separate equipment equipment? For Sour Mashing, no you do not need separate equipment. If you think about a "Clean" all grain brewing process you 1. Mash 2. Boil 3. Ferment with Sacc. In a Sour Mash process you 1. Mash 2. Sour 3. Boil 4. Ferment with Sacc. After the souring of the mash you are performing the same actions as a "clean" beer by boiling (sterilizing the wort) and fermenting with brewers yeast so technically speaking its a "clean" beer. Second, Do I need a separate mash tun for Sour Mashing since I am introducing Lactobacillus? No you do not. Lactobacillus is found on all grains. When you put grain into your mash tun, whether for a clean beer or a sour mash, you are introducing Lactobacillous and other wild yeasts/bacteria. Your mashtun is full of them anyway so you do not need a separate one. Remember the boil is was sanitizes the wort, so anything you introduce before the boil will be killed at the boil.

So what are the steps for Sour Mashing. Well its honestly really simple. First you Mash as you would any other beer (ex. 148F for 60Min). Once the mash is complete you chill the mash to 110-120F and hold it at that temp for 48-60hrs or until you get the sourness you are looking for. Once you have the sourness you want you begin your Vorlauf and Sparge as you would any other beer. From here on out the process is exactly the same. Boil for 60 minutes with your planned hop schedule, cooling to 70-75F for pitching temps. Sanitize your fermenter as normal and pitch your Sacc yeast. The process is exactly the same as a standard all grain brew day except for the 48-60hr Mash hold aka Sour Mash. So now its time to try it out and brew! Im going to walk through a Sour Mash brew day with my Gose recipe.

Recipe:

5.5 Gallon All Grain

5# White Wheat
3.25# Pilsner
2# Acidulated Malt (un-milled)
0.5# Rice Hulls
1# Vienna Malt (un-milled and separate)

1 oz. Tettnanger @ 60 min

1 oz. Coriander Seed @ 15 min
0.75 oz. Sea Salt @ 15 min

German Ale WLP029

OG: 1.053 FG: 1.013 ABV: 5.2% IBU: 14 SRM: 3

Mash: 147F for 60 min
Sour Mash: 117 for 48-60hrs
Boil: 60 min

IMG_3345-300x300.jpg

Step 1: Mash

For the mash you want to combine the white wheat, pilsner, acidulated malt and rice hulls and doe in. Since we are going to sour mash we are going to run a thinner grist ratio so that a larger percentage of the wort is being soured. The goal is to have 5.5 gallons after boil so we want around 6.6 gallons of combined runnings before the boil. We also see a larger grain absorption factor since the grain has a longer contact period. So factoring that all in we want to strike grains with 5.5gal of water at 155F for a mash temp of 147F for 60min. That will give us around 3.75gal of first runnings (do not pull runnings yet)

IMG_3371-225x300.jpg

Step 2: Cool Mash

After the 60min mash (or when sugar conversion is complete) we need to cool the mash down so we can pitch the Lacto. Optimal temperature for Lacto is between 110-120F so we need to cool the wort down into that range. I personally like to use a couple of 2L soda bottles that are filled with water and frozen. Ill take those and put them in the mash and stir until the temperature drops to 117F. Thats where I personally like to hold temperature.

IMG_3372-225x300.jpg

Step 3: Pitch Lacto

As mentioned earlier there are a couple ways to pitch Lacto. Personally I like using unmilled grain. So thats the next step, pitching the lacto. Add the 1# of Vienna unmilled to the mash and stir it in. This acts as your lacto pitch and will start the souring process.

IMG_3373-225x300.jpg

Step 4: Eliminate Oxygen

Oxygen is your worst enemy from this point on. The more oxygen present the more your beer will have this awful bile / vomit smell to it which likes to linger around into the finished product. To eliminate as much oxygen as possible you want to spray the bed with CO2. Get a nice blanket of CO2 on the grain bed and then cover it with saran wrap. If you do not have CO2 I would suggest putting the saran wrap directly on the top of the grain bed to eliminate as much head space as possible. In my case I had CO2 and wrapped the top of the vessel so that no oxygen would get in when the lid was put on.

IMG_3374-300x225.jpg

Step 5: Hold Temperature for 48-60Hrs

Next is the fun part, holding 117F for 48-60hrs. As a home brewer this is actually the hardest part. If you are using a cooler mash tun it would be best to put it in the warmest part of your house and wrap it with a blanket. If you have heating pads or anything to help maintain the heat I suggest using it. You will usually see 10-15F drop within 24hrs and finishing around 90-95F after 48-60hrs. But you really want to try and keep the temperature as close to the 110-120F temp as thats the happy range for Lacto. In my case SsBrewTech's InfuSsion MashTun is perfect for handling this. It comes with an optional MTSS (temperature controller and heating pad) that allows me to set a temperature and walk away. The controller will turn on the heating pad when the temperature drops below the set temperature and will maintain the mash temp within 1F. I was able to hold between 116-118F for 60hrs using this product and ive found it to be the ideal setup for Sour Mashing or Kettle Souring. If you are interested in the InfuSsion Mash Tun check out this blog post InfuSsion Mash Tun.

IMG_3426-300x300.jpg

Step 6: Vorlauf, Lauter and Sparge

After the 48-60hrs and you got the sourness level you are looking for, the brew day goes back to normal. Begin your Vorlauf and lauter and collect your first runnings. We are aiming to get around 3.75 gal of first runnings. Begin your sparge with around 168F water to collect the remaining 2.85 gal of wort to total 6.6 gal in your boil kettle.

IMG_3425-300x300.jpg

Step 7: Boil

Once you have gathered your 6.6 gal of wort you are ready for boil. This recipe calls for a 60 min boil with 1 addition of 1 oz. of Tettnanger hops at 60 min. During the boil you will also be adding the 1 oz. of coriander seed and 0.75 oz. of sea salt at the 15 min mark. Prepare your coriander seed while you are heating up the wort for the boil. You want to crack the coriander seed either using a spice cracker or putting the seed in a ziplock and cracking it with a rolling pin. By this time you should be about boiling. You really need to watch the boil for this beer. Since there is a lot of wheat in this beer you will get a lot of foam on the top of the beer while boiling which can cause boil over. Watch over the beer and adjust the heat source accordingly. When there is 15 minutes left add the sea salt and coriander seed.

IMG_3443-225x300.jpg

Step 8: Chill and Transfer to Primary

Lastly chill down to 75F, transfer to your sanitized fermenter and pitch your yeast. Thats it!

Sour Mashing is a great way to start with producing "Sour" beers as its not that much different from a "clean" beer brew day. Once you get the hang of it you will get hooked and on your way to doing more traditional style "Sours".

DSC_8890_1024x1024-300x300.jpg

On a side note, I just want to comment on the piece of equipment I used to sour mash. Its the SsBrewTech InfuSsion MashTun, which I have brewed with before. But the newest addition to the Mash Tun was this MTSS. Its a temperature control unit with a heating pad that mounts to the bottom of the Mash Tun and is designed to hold temps to within 1 degree of the set point. I bought this accessory specifically for doing Sour Mash and Kettle Sour beers and this was my first time using it. Honestly it was the best investment I could have made. In the past ive wrapped my igloo cooler tun with blankets and tried to keep my temps up there but would loose 15-20F over the course of the sour mash which is not ideal. The souring process would slow down and off flavors and smells would start to develop the longer it sat at lower temperatures. Not with the MTSS, I was able to keep temps between 116F and 118F for 60hrs which yielded a more tart wort. I honestly was overly impressed with this option and if you are planning on doing some Sour Mash or Kettle Sour beers I would definitely suggest taking a look at this product.

Here is the link to the original blog post if you want to check it out

http://blog.craftbeertraders.com/how-to-sour-mash-w-gose-recipe/

I've been a bit curious about brewing sours since I've just started appreciating drinking them. I'm not sure I'm ready for the multi-day brew process yet but now I have a good idea of where to start. Thanks for the write-up!

This is so fantastic!

Question : Do the frozen soda bottles need to be sanitized on the outside?

They are frozen so technically any wild yeasts should be killed. Also since you are boiling after the sour mash period you should be fine.

Great article! Thank you for sharing!

If I want to add fruit (key limes in this case), would I still add to secondary?

Cheers!

This may be a newb question but I see you have 2lb acid malt. Wouldn't that drive the mash ph WAY down? I'm used to just using a couple ounces if I need it.

Great article! Thank you for sharing!

If I want to add fruit (key limes in this case), would I still add to secondary?

Cheers!

I add lime tincture when kegging, or if you bottle, in your bottling bucket. I am fermenting a margarita gose now, ready to pitch my tincture this coming weekend, so I'll share my method:

Make your Gose base beer as normal, but in my case, I upped the salt in the base beer to one ounce for a 5G keg.

You can use plain white tequila, but I like tequila that I have oaked. I most recently took an oak spiral found in most LHBS and dropped into a 1.75L bottle of white tequila. 2 months later, your tequila in oaked nicely and the color of iced tea. You can skip this step, but I like the flavor it yields and it reminds me of an oak barrel aged sour when done.

Anyway, use 1.5 Cups of the tequila you choose. I use a vegetable peeler and carefully take the green zest (no white pith) off two medium limes, put into a container that can be sealed, then cover with tequila for 2 weeks while making the beer. I usually add the entire 1.5 cups of tincture after straining out the peels. But if this is your first attempt, you may choose to add some then sample to your taste.

You can sub vodka for tequila if you want a less flavored tincture, but alcohol in a spirit really pulls the essence from the zest nicely. This is my go to recipe and I bet I haven't made a plain Gose beer in many moons now. Some folks add zest straight to the secondary, but I feel tinctures are so much easier to handle.

Step 5: Hold Temperature for 48-60Hrs

Next is the fun part, holding 117F for 48-60hrs. As a home brewer this is actually the hardest part. If you are using a cooler mash tun it would be best to put it in the warmest part of your house and wrap it with a blanket. If you have heating pads or anything to help maintain the heat I suggest using it. You will usually see 10-15F drop within 24hrs and finishing around 90-95F after 48-60hrs. But you really want to try and keep the temperature as close to the 110-120F temp as thats the happy range for Lacto. In my case SsBrewTech's InfuSsion MashTun is perfect for handling this. It comes with an optional MTSS (temperature controller and heating pad) that allows me to set a temperature and walk away. The controller will turn on the heating pad when the temperature drops below the set temperature and will maintain the mash temp within 1F. I was able to hold between 116-118F for 60hrs using this product and ive found it to be the ideal setup for Sour Mashing or Kettle Souring. If you are interested in the InfuSsion Mash Tun check out this blog post InfuSsion Mash Tun.

Informative post. One of the most important parts of the "souring" process is knowing when you are ready to move on to the next step. How are you determining when you are soured adequately and ready to boil?

For many folks who may be unfamiliar with the souring process, this is a step that was not addressed well.

Hi, I know this thread is old, but figured I would try to get an answer anyway... In the recipe you mention the happy range for lactobacillus is 117F, but this is contrary to everything I have learned through baking with sourdough. In sourdough baking recipes, a cold-proof is what enables the happiest level of acid production from the lactobacillus, and occurs around 55F. Would you be able to provide a source for your statements regarding the higher temperature?

Yeast typically feeds faster when heated up, lactobacillus typically feeds happier when chilled.

Thanks.

Most lacto strains like the 90F+ temps. Plantarum is happy 70F+.

http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Lactobacillus

Thank you for the reply!! I did some research and was surprised to find similar data to you. One site did mention that above 100F can inhibit growth. Another mentioned that at 68F the highest levels of lactic acid are produced. Guess I'll just have to experiment :]

One thing I did realize with sourdough baking is that cold-proofing is probably used to drastically slow down the yeast and prevent excessive CO2 production.

Thanks again!

-Matt

Back