sour mashing extracts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grod1

Reaction score
I was wondering if you can follow normal sour mashing techniques for dry/liquid extracts.
Also i would like to know what peoples thought are on sour mashing pure fruit juice or or fruit puree/malt extract combos with normal sour mashing techniques.
Even if this were to just to be added at a percentage to other beers? would/should i get pleasant results?

Thank you filthy astronaut. Have you ever heard of anyone sour mashing with fruit? Google searches show up dozens of pages for sour mash whisky but i haven't found anything for home brews.

Its not quite sour mashing since there is no mash but I used this to teach myself how to make sours... https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=579458

Its a simple extract base for Berliner Weisse. I can't say what the results would be but my thinking is it would be better to add the fruit in the end instead of trying to sour it. The lacto is going to turn sugar into acid so you might as well keep as much of the fruits sugars as possible to retain the most flavor.

Latest posts

Back