Sour honey, raspberry wheat.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conrad1

Reaction score
So I brewed a wheat beer several months ago. It was 1.045 and it fermented too cold I think because it put off some terrible sulfur smell. It has dissipated after a couple months but still has a unpleasant smell. So I decided to add 1l of raw buckwheat honey and 4.5 lbs of raspberries to maybe cover it up. I added Wyeast pediococcus and a bottle dreg of brett Trois. All I can smell coming out the airlock now is raspberries. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406077835.185676.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1406077846.921364.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1406077859.926817.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1406077872.121350.jpg

So should I keep the fruit in for the whole 6-12 months or rack it off into a tertiary at some point?

I find that this forum is generally pretty slow to respond. I'd answer your questions if I had the experience. That carboy is a beautiful thing, though.

I have absolutely zero experience in this kind of thing but I would guess you'd want to take it off the fruit at some point. No idea on timeline, but thought I'd add my half a penny and get it up towards the top of the timeline for you too.

Hope someone smarter than I can chime in with a real answer. Will follow to see how it turns out.

Keep it on the fruit until you're ready to package, if you rack to tertiary you'll lose some of the fruit character

Back