Sour Hefeweizen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeirvine

Reaction score
I have a hefe that is 3weeks in the bottle. It had two weeks in primary and I let ferment at about 70 ambient temp. For some reason it is sour. It's surprisingly actually really good, just different. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this happen?

I did this on my first hef too. No starter plus no temp control will get poor results for a beer that relies almost completely on fermentation alone to make or break it.

For the record, the Berliner Weiss is either made with a sour mash or by adding lacto to the fermentation. Any chance either one of those occurred?

Haha, nope no purpose lacto or sour mash. I have made the recipe plenty of times before and I always hold the temp around 70+ in order to get the banana flavor and have never used a starter. I used WL 300 Bavarian Hefe for the yeast. I washed the yeast so I'm going to make another once I have some freed up bottles and see if it is an infection or just too high of fermentation temp. Either way it is really good.

Back