Sour cherry beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrettPreston

Reaction score
Hi all.

So, I like sour beer and I've had a few sour cherry beers which have been good. I wanna give it ago myself, I'm not out of the stage of extract brews yet. So my questions..

1. Is it possible to add sour cherries to the fermentation progress?

2. If yes, when would I add them and how?

3. Does any one know of am extract kit this would work well with?

4. Or what type of kit, I've got a hopped extract kit but think the hops may not work. Would an amber ale kit work better?

Thanks for any support and advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I did a sour cherry oatmeal milk stout which turned out well. Put sour cherries in after a week in primary and real sour cherry extract a week after that...

I did a sour cherry saison last year. I used 5 lbs of cherries for 5 gallons and ended up with a nice subtle flavor. After prepping the cherries, I racked on top of them in secondary.

I've also seen the use of Lactic Acid to add the sour taste and flavours, anyone had any experience with this?

My thoughts so far...

Pale ale extract kit, brew as normal, one week after add cherries and lactic acid (small amount) take tests to see about how sour and add more if needed and or at bottling.

That's my thoughts, may be off track..

Back