Sour Cherry Ale - Extreme Brewing - Fermentation help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redbone

Reaction score
I have the Sour CHerry Ale from the Extreme brewing book in primary fermentation right now. There is no description about how long to leave it in there or to put it in secondary or anything. Can someone help me with the process? This is the first beer of this type I have done.

Thanks!

I assume this is not a lambic or gueze style beer? When you go to secondary it you will want to transfer to a larger vessel and dump your cherry puree or what ever you have before the beer and put on top... I know some people also try when racking to get some of the yeast from the bottom and also place some in there as a buffer... I'm not 100% sure on this though...

The beer after primary should be close to finishing gravity but not completely... once you rack you ontop of the sour cherrys you will see a jump in activity... I would leave it on the cherrys for at least 2 weeks and then rack off the cherrys again to a bright tank or another carboy so all the sediment drops out and clears.

Back