Sour beer minus the sour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turboninja64

Reaction score
So I tried an experiment. Here is my recipe:
Steeping grains: 2lbs crystal 120L
1lb 3oz belgian caramel amber
13oz Cara red
Extract: 7lbs Briess light DME 60min boil
Hops: 1oz nugget 60min boil
OG 1.082
then split into 4 fermentors. Then added Brett L WLP653 to fermentor #1 and 3. and added Lacto WLP677 to #2 and 4. Then 33 days later I added Lacto to #3 and Brett L to #4.

I tasted them about 80 days later. None of them had any sourness. They were all different, but pretty much had a musty, dry, barnyard flavor. I would assume from the brett. The gravities ranged from 1.001 to 1.014. I was expecting to have some sourness. Am I still to early to be expecting this flavor?

I'm not sure how to calculate IBUs for extract recipes, but I'd hazard a guess that the ounce of high alpha hops was enough to inhibit the lacto. Are you saying the 'lacto only #2' beer got down to 1.014? That's not possible as I understand things, so maybe you had some contamination.

I'm not sure how to calculate IBUs for extract recipes, but I'd hazard a guess that the ounce of high alpha hops was enough to inhibit the lacto. Are you saying the 'lacto only #2' beer got down to 1.014? That's not possible as I understand things, so maybe you had some contamination.

I just put the recipe into brewtarget and it calculated 44 ibu's. And I used the refractometer calculator to figure my 1.014 for the lacto only fermentor. So... I guess 44 ibu's would be WAY high. But I didnt realize IBU's inhibited Lacto. And why is it not possible for Lacto to ferment that low? Is it the alc%?

I did a 100% White Labs Lacto fermented Berliner, and it fermented well, and it SMELLS like a sour, but has virtually no acidity. I'm suspect of their strain. Impressive it worked in a bitter beer like that, WL claims 20 IBUs is the max I believe. Brettanomyces really doesn't produce acid, maybe a slight tartness, but that's it. Add Pedio next time if you want sourness, or a more agressive strain of Lacto.

Latest posts

Back