Sound off: Commercial beer you're digging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Troegs Nugget Nectar is outstanding with its fresh, hoppy goodness right now.

I have also been enjoying some of the Dale's Pale Ale in the can. There is still something intriguing about decent craft beer in a can.

SN Porter. I got a case for $14.99 because it was "outdated". It tastes sooo much better aged anyway!

FWIW, I can't decipher the date code, so I really don't know how "old" it is.
it should just say bottled on and then the regular date on the top of the case

Right now I am digging Fuller's London Porter and Sierra Nevada Stout. Also Goose Island Matilda is a pretty good beer that I wish I had more of.

Dogfish Head Midas Touch.

From the packaging:

Deep inside this tumulus at Gordion in Central Turkey, University of Pennsylvania Museum archaelogoists excavated what is quite possibly the tomb of the real King Midas, who inspired the legend.

The secrets of the 2700-year-old beverage were unlocked by a Molecular Archaeologist at the Penn Museum, who analyzed residues from the largest Iron Age drinking set ever found.

Handcrafted Ancient Ale with barley, honey, white muscat grapes & saffron.

Way too compelling to pass up. It is very sweet and syrupy. If it had been made with rock candy instead of honey I could swear it would be a Belgian Tripel. If you don't mind a mead-like sweetness, and want something with a bit more body than mead it's a very good beer. At 9% it's got a kick to it too, but it's deceptively strong.

Since it's Olympic season I'll give it an 8.3/10. It's a sweet and bubbly figure skater that is far too emotional to grasp the technical fundamentals of her sport, but makes up for it with heartfelt effort. I'd watch it again for the sexy outfit.

Been drinking mostly well-done, easy-drinking, sessionable beers lately. Stoked that the local shops all now seem to be carrying Dale's Pale Ale. Been kicking Lefthand's Sawtooth Ale. Stone Levitation, although as much as I love Stone, it's a notch below those two.

I have been on an ipa kick. I used to drink the hell out of two hearted when bells first came to NC. I haven't had one in about 6 mos. So I bought a pint at the bar and damn that is one good ipa. I have been digging this stuff since. Kind of makes me want to go back and try some other beers that I have not had in a while. I have really been on a homebrew kick and money is tight now

I've been going through a lot of SA Noble Pils the past few weeks, man that stuff is good. I also had a Unibroue sampler over the weekend and a 4 pack of La Fin Du Monde. I love all their brews except Ephemere or whatever that apple stuff is. I usually don't like overly sweet beers, but I think Ephemere is too dry to pull off that sour apple flavor.

New Belgium's Mighty Arrow. Just finished off a 6 pack. I'll be honest it tasted a lot better to me after I read the description.

My Bowling league team has been digging on some Kona Longboard and Firerock the last few weeks. Pretty good stuff, you know, for Hawaiian brew.. ;-)

I don't drink many commercial brews anymore, primarily I will by one to see if I want to brew something in a similar style.

Widmer Bros Deadlift IPA (imperial), Rogue Shakespear Stoute and Chimay Blue where my last three.

Widmer Deadlift was great, 8+ ABV but IBU's were oddly low for the style (70?), and no dry hop. I enjoyed the drinkability aspect of it, I am brewing a double IPA in a similar fashion now, with no dry hop but intense hop flavors.

Rogue Shakespear Stoute - thought he stout was a bit thin, i loved the biterness from the american hops though. Cultured the yeast but not brewing a similar beer

Chimay - my first taste of trappist ale. I am fascinated with this beer. I have since cultured the yeast, ordered grain and made dark candi sugar for a clone.

My current addictions:

- Stone's Sublimely Self Righteous
- Lagunitas Imperial Red
- Pliny the Elder
- Bourbon County Stout
- Stone's Old Guardian

Anything from New Glarus Brewing. ...
My wife & I were in Madison last weekend and I picked up a 6-er of Fat Squirrel Nut Brown Ale on the way home. Hadn't had it in ~3 years. I had one last night and forgot how good it was. (She & I also put away a lot of Texas Speed Bump IPA at The Great Dane.:D)

Black Wheat from New Glarus Brewery (impossible to find now - its seasonal)
Oscar's Chocolate Oatmeat Stout from Sand Creek Brewing
Milk Stout from Left Hand Brewing
Oatmeal Stout from Goose Island Beer Company
Weisse Bock from Hacker Pschorr

DFH Chicory Stout
DFH 60 min and 90 min
New Holland's Dragon's Milk
New Hollad's Mad Hatter
Blue Point Brewing Toasted Lager and Blueberry Ale

Chimay - my first taste of trappist ale. I am fascinated with this beer. I have since cultured the yeast, ordered grain and made dark candi sugar for a clone.

Do yourself a favor and find a bottle of Westmalle Tripel. IMHO it's the best Trappist Belgian Tripel on the American market. Trippel Karmeliet is my favorite Tripel, period, but it's not Trappist. Anyways, not only are Trappist beers superior in most cases, but buying one goes to a good cause. The Trappist monks only take enough money from sales to cover their costs and the rest goes to various charities.

Another really good Trappist beer you should be able to find is Orval. It's a bit more malty than others.

I'm digging Victory's Prima Pils right now.

I have so much homebrew at the moment that I can't really justify buying more commercial beer though. :cross:

Oskar Blues Old Chub the best Scotch Ale around. Looking forward to "The Gubna" next week (in the stores) an Imperial IPA that I think they've had on tap at their restaurant but labeled as something else. Really can't go wrong with anything from these guy's.

Is it my imagination or are there a plethora of people with a palate for the SA Pils?

I really can't believe it's a Sam Adams. I mean I like a few of their beers but this one is just top notch.

Hmm, I've always stuck wit PBR and Cobra since I started drinking but I haven't got any since I started brewing.. I guess anything from Sierra Nevada is what I've been going to for the past couple months. Great staple beer and I use the bottles for my brews.

I'm also on a Belgian kick and just picked up a 4 pack of Kongingshoeven Quad. It is delicious! I've never brewed a Belgian, but this beer has me considering it

For an IPA, NB's Ranger isn't bad, but Sweetwater's IPA tops that list. (now if I could try a pliny or green flash...)

X2 Also, it's rather easy to get a good yeast starter going from Sweetwater IPA.

Lately I've been on a Pilsner kick. I happened upon Efes Pilsner and really like it even if it is a bit underhopped.

the rest of my fridge right now is:
-Lone Star
-Coors Light
-SA Noble Pils

Back