Sorachi Ace Hops - What have you done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you have any wheat in the recipe? Maybe make an American wheat with this combo and see what happens.
Mine? Was a small batch with Briess wheat DME and only Sorachi Ace hops.

Next time I'll probably do a full batch with 50/50 White Wheat/2-Row and some lactic acid (or a sour mash) and keep the same hopping schedule (60, 20, 10, KO).

Im sorry that I'm joining in on the conversation of pros but isn't Sorachi Hops a Japanese hop? If so, doesn't that defeat the purpose of brewing a belgium style ale like a Saison like some of you are talking about? I don't mean that in any sort of disrespect but just curious

I'd say it's probably a good fit for a Saison. (Rules are made to be broken beerookie!)

But I will say I don't get the lemon-flavor thing at all from that hop. I'd say it's more of a bright resiny flavor.

But not lemon.

I made an IPA style brew using Pilsner malt for the base malt and various varieties of "noble" hops. Sorachi Ace was used throughout along with Tettenang, Hallertauer, and Saphir.

The beer was fantastic and didn't last nearly long enough in the keg. This will be made again in a 10 gallon batch to enjoy the flavors over a longer period of time.

The noble hop flavor came through big time. I wouldn't say one hop dominated or overpowered any of the others, but they all blended together to give that unmistakable noble hop presence.

Using Sorachi Ace was very helpful in this recipe as the higher AA% made it possible to do without breaking the bank, too much, on hops. I still used close to a pound total for five gallons.

I've made a number of Saison variants using Sorachi Aces, and I know one other person made my Sorachi Saison. I've seen a few others mention it in random threads, so I wanted to know: What have you brewed with Sorachi Ace?

Can someone help me with the extract version of this for this?
6.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 55.8 %
2.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 18.6 %
2.00 lb Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 18.6 %
Pilsen extract?
And 2lb of specialty grains for the munich
wheat DME? or would I want to do a wheat extract?

Just brewed an IPA this past weekend with predominantly Sorachi Ace. I've been waiting for a very long time to use them.

5.5 lb M.O.
4 lb 2-row
2 lb munich
1 lb aromatic
1 lb crystal 40
.5 lb carafoam
.25 lb special b

.75oz Magnum 60min
1oz SA 20min
.5oz cascade 20min
.25oz magnum 20min
.5oz SA 10min
.5oz SA 5 min
.25oz Cascade 5min
.5oz fuggles 5 min

And I'll dry hop after secondary with 1.5oz SA

My fermentation room (ie bathroom) smells awesome while it's bubbling!

I'll let you know how it turns out.

I noticed that, I was actually asking for the extract version or how to convert it to extract

well.. that's what you are asking NOW, but not originally. :D

Can you get pilsner extract? I've seen munich extract before, as well as wheat extract, but I haven't used extract in a while and don't know what's out there.

well.. that's what you are asking NOW, but not originally. :D

Can you get pilsner extract? I've seen munich extract before, as well as wheat extract, but I haven't used extract in a while and don't know what's out there.

Pilsner extract is pretty standard, even comes in DME--Munich's a tougher find but you can get it in LME at the very least.

Wheat extract is usually 50/50 barley/wheat (or in that realm). I'd use twice as much of that as there is wheat malt, enough munich extract to make up the munich contribution, and then enough pilsener extract to make up the OG difference after those two.

Actually, that's not true; I'd mini-mash the munich, wheat malt, and 1 lb of pilsner malt using DeathBrewer's stovetop partial mash method, and use pilsener DME to make up the rest. That sounds scary to someone who's never done partial mash before, but the process isn't very much different from steeping grains. But if I were totally scared of partial mashing, all-extract is a possibility.

Pilsner extract is pretty standard, even comes in DME--Munich's a tougher find but you can get it in LME at the very least.

Wheat extract is usually 50/50 barley/wheat (or in that realm). I'd use twice as much of that as there is wheat malt, enough munich extract to make up the munich contribution, and then enough pilsener extract to make up the OG difference after those two.

Yeah, that's a good idea.

Using that approach, I get this from ProMash:

3.3# Pilsner LME
3.3# Wheat LME
1.65# Munich LME

That's actually a LITTLE higher than jezter's OG (1.055 vs 1.053 - note that it is a 5.5 gallon batch), but comes pretty close.

If I recall, LME comes in 3.3# bags/cans, so you use one bag of wheat, one bag of pilsner, and a half bag of munich.

I first used Sorachi Ace in an American Pale Ale along with Crystal. After tasting it first in Elysian Brewing's Loser Pale Ale. It turned out amazing. I'm brewing another batch next week and trying to think of where else I can use this hop.

Guys,

I just picked up 2 ounces of Sorachi Ace leaf hops. I'd like to form a beer to compliment the lemograss that comes from the hops, and I don't really drink wheat beers. Any ideas?

I'm mulling over the idea of using your standard APA grain bill: 2-row, 1-2 pounds of rye, maybe a bit of carapils and crystal. I'm targeting 5% alch. I can almost taste the spicey rye with the lemon grass notes. I think it'd make a great summer time beer. Does anyone have any input?

I know 2 ounces of sorachi isn't a lot - but I'm not a HUGE hop guy. 50 ibu is more than enough. Unfortunately my BeerSmith doesn't have the Sorachi hop profile there...

Thanks in advance dudes! :rockin:

The first brew I did just a few months ago was a Black IPA (Northern Brewer kit) featuring SA. I fell in love with the hop after Three Floyds Samurai Gazebo.

I had a feeling it'd work well against a dark smoky grain bill, and I was right. While I basically just replaced the provided Summit with SA for bittering, and then 2 oz's for dry hopping, it worked extremely well.

Plans to reproduce the beer with either a full Sorachi Ace schedule, or possibly some better partner varieties are definitely on the table.

Can't ask for much more than a homerun on the first ever batch.

Signed up just to chime in on the thread as Sorachi Ace is definitely a favorite of mine (Have a Rye in secondary today with Cascade and SA).

Lemonhead

Style: American Wheat or Rye Beer OG: 1.053
Type: All Grain FG: 1.016
Rating: 0.0 ABV: 4.85 %
Calories: 175 IBU's: 27.97
Efficiency: 70 % Boil Size: 5.83 Gal
Color: 3.9 SRM Batch Size: 5.00 Gal
Boil Time: 60 minutes

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Gravity Color
7.00 lbs 70.00 % Wheat Malt, Ger 1.039 2.0
3.00 lbs 30.00 % Pale Malt (2 Row) US 1.036 2.0

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
0.30 ozs 14.00 Nugget 60 mins 13.00
0.70 ozs 10.03 Sorachi Ace 10 mins 11.00
0.50 ozs 3.94 Sorachi Ace 05 mins 11.00

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.0 pkg Pacman Wyeast Labs

Additions
Amount Name Time Stage
1.00 oz Whirlfloc Tablet 15 mins Boil
1.00 oz Yeast Nutrient 15 mins Boil
2.00 oz Lemon Peel 10 mins Boil

Mash Profile
Light Body Infusion In 60 min @ 151.0°F
Add 12.50 qt ( 1.25 qt/lb ) water @ 167.5°F
Sparge
Sparge 18.02 qt of 170.0°F water over 60 mins

This is my American Wheat, great flavor nice spice and lemon notes.

Am I the only one that has done the one from Twelve Hopostles?

Recipe: Saint Matthew
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 4.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.02 gal
Estimated OG: 1.070 SG
Estimated Color: 7.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 70.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 74.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 90.48 %
1 lbs Amber Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 9.52 %
0.20 oz Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] (60 min) Hops 9.2 IBU
0.50 oz Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
0.30 oz Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] (50 min) Hops 13.1 IBU
0.30 oz Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] (40 min) Hops 12.1 IBU
0.40 oz Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] (30 min) Hops 14.1 IBU
0.50 oz Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] (20 min) Hops 13.9 IBU
0.50 oz Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] (10 min) Hops 8.3 IBU
0.50 oz Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] (0 min) Hops -

CIMG0060.jpg

Just a bump and follow up:

Did two sorachi SMaSH batches with 2 Row and Maris Otter

The 2 Row I quite liked, mild, crisp, paired with just about everything I ate.

The Maris Otter was nice too but didn't clear as nicely (I screwed up somewhere I'm sure) and immediately out of the fridge was actually not that pleasant but after it warmed a bit was very tasty and refreshing.

Definitely doing the 2 Row again come summer, great lawnmower beer.

Another bump :D

Just got half a pound of these on special offer and was wondering what I should do with them.

Anyone else brew a successful beer with these recently (other than a Saison)?

Thanks!

:mug:

I've used Sorachi Ace in a Saison and an American Wheat but, I've never picked up the advertised signature lemon flavor. My description is that it's a more potent and bitter Saaz flavor profile. It can make a nice beer but, without resorting to adding lemon grass or lemon zest along with the hops, I haven't gotten the lemon character from it. Last night I had a SMASH IPA from Sand Creek Brewing (WI), good beer but no wow factor from the hops. :confused:

Thanks for the replies.

I found a few other recipes when searching.

Ace hole.

Should be good according to rate beer:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/marshal...e-hole/123672/

Cant find the recipe I was looking at last night with just SA and Citra
Will search again later.

Valhalla Red IPA
Also highly rated on Rate Beer
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebre...lhalla-red-ipa

and
Block 15 Sticky Hands
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16846/92388/

http://www.craftedpours.com/homebrew...omebrew-recipe

Whirlpool and Dry Hop in a Rye IPA!!!!

Rye and Sorachi is amazing

Sounds good.

I might do a variation with the Bee Cave Brewery Rye IPA malt bill and Sorachi Ace.
So far that malt bill has tasted great with all 4 different variations I did.
Maybe with Taurus for bittering and some Amarillo in the Whirlpool and dry hop too.

Specifically I did this

2 oz Amarillo whirlpool for 30 min @ 180°F
1 oz Sorachi Ace whirlpool for 30 min @ 180°F

Dryhop 2 oz Amarillo 5 days
Dryhop 2 oz Sorachi Ace 5 days

5 gallon batch.

I do most of my hops after the boil. Use a 2 boil-3 steep /whirlpool-4 dry hop schedule. Next time I do this batch, will add an ounce of Chinook in the whirlpool

Works out well for what I like. People argue dry hop is aroma only. Different topic, but as I said for me, it works.

I got a huge amount of coconut in the last beer I made with Sorachi. It was a kinda turbid pale ale that had a lot of oats in, sadly I had serious siphon issues when bottling so EVERY ONE of them was a bloody gusher!

I think it's a hop I'll return to at some point but I've got loads to get through first. I think it's probably best suited to a saison a la Brooklyn, as a single hop brew. In a blend, I'd be tempted to pair it with a more orangey hop like Amarillo or Mandarina Bavaria.

Have a saison in the fermenter right now that hopped with it and a my next ipa will probaly be nelson/ace

5 gallon batch.

I do most of my hops after the boil. Use a 2 boil-3 steep /whirlpool-4 dry hop schedule. Next time I do this batch, will add an ounce of Chinook in the whirlpool

Works out well for what I like. People argue dry hop is aroma only. Different topic, but as I said for me, it works.

Sounds good. Like I said the 3 times I brewed the Beecave Brewery Rye IPA it turned out excellent with totally different hops and one time even with a Saison yeast. So I'll give it a go with SA and Amarillo the next time. Maybe a split batch with US05 and Bell Saison.

I got a huge amount of coconut in the last beer I made with Sorachi. It was a kinda turbid pale ale that had a lot of oats in, sadly I had serious siphon issues when bottling so EVERY ONE of them was a bloody gusher!

I think it's a hop I'll return to at some point but I've got loads to get through first. I think it's probably best suited to a saison a la Brooklyn, as a single hop brew. In a blend, I'd be tempted to pair it with a more orangey hop like Amarillo or Mandarina Bavaria.

Might pair well with Summit in the Dry hop/whirlpool then.
Luckily I got some that's heavy on the tangerine flavour rather than onion/garlic. As SA is totally new to me I will probably go for the single hop Saison first so I can get to know it better on its own and then after experiment a bit.

:tank:

Sounds good. Like I said the 3 times I brewed the Beecave Brewery Rye IPA it turned out excellent with totally different hops and one time even with a Saison yeast. So I'll give it a go with SA and Amarillo the next time. Maybe a split batch with US05 and Bell Saison.

Used US-05 that batch as it was my first attempt at the rye and I was not ready to wrap my tongue around a new grain (to me) and figure out how the yeast played with it. Worked really well

I'm planning on making a batch of simple pale ale with half an ounce of chinook or centenial for a slight bittering, then I'm going to divide it into four small 1.25 gallon batches for the second half of the boil, each with half an ounce of a different flavouring hops, to see if I can tell the difference. I was probably going to do Sorachi Ace, Amarillo, Fuggles, and maybe Citra. I'm really interested to see the differences.

I just got a lb of these for $8.50 and was wondering if anyone tried them in Belgian pale ale? I have some harvested 1214 Abby and was thinking it would go well with Sora hi ace hops.

Latest posts

Back