Something simple, pale, clean, crisp, and refreshing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMOKEU

Reaction score
I would like to make something like that with dry yeast (had too many dramas with liquid yeast lately). I've only really made hoppy ales with the odd porter. I have a brew fridge so I can do a lager but I want something simple that's not going to show all my mistakes like a pale lager would. I've never made a lager. The other alternative is a Kolsch style with the new Lallemand kolsch yeast. Any other ideas?

Anything pale and subtle is gonna show mistakes. I'd just bite the bullet and brew a proper crispyboi. Can't go wrong with a Pils or a Helles.

A simple blonde ale with Nottingham would be good.
I'll second that.

90% ale yeast, 10% light crystal? Or what would make it better? I'll aim for around 1.050 OG.

Anything pale and subtle is gonna show mistakes. I'd just bite the bullet and brew a proper crispyboi. Can't go wrong with a Pils or a Helles.

These look nice:

https://leagueofbrewers.co.nz/the-league-f5-new-zealand-pilsner-all-grain-kit-23l.htmlhttps://leagueofbrewers.co.nz/the-league-freestyle-new-zealand-pilsner-all-grain-kit-23l.html
NZ hops cheap and readily available. :)

90% Pale, 10% wheat, 1h mash@ 65c, cascade or the hop of your choice, only ten minute additions, maybe something at flame out as well, if you like, us05. Nottingham always muted my hops, compared to 05. Ferment at the cooler end of the range.

Simple as that, light and crisp, and nice.

Last edited:
85% pale malt. 5% light crystal. 10% oats. 1.045OG.
Motueka @30 mins to get to 25IBU.
1g/L each of Nelson Sauvin and Riwaka @5 minutes.
US05 or Nottingham.
A great NZ 'Summer' Blonde ale.

I have a low ABV but highly hopped Cream Ale recipe that fits your bill. It's not to style, but it's damn delicious and would hide issues better than most because of the higher hops

First of all let’s discuss your “mistakes”. What form do these “mistakes” usually come in?

100% Pale ale malt. The hops of your choice. Use enough hops to mask any off flavors up to a lot of them for a hop bomb ale.

But as couchsending stated, work on your "mistakes".

90% Pale, 10% wheat, 1h mash@ 65c, cascade or the hop of your choice, only ten minute additions, maybe something at flame out as well, if you like, us05. Nottingham always muted my hops, compared to 05. Ferment at the cooler end of the range.

Simple as that, light and crisp, and nice.

I've done something similar before, turned out quite nice.

85% pale malt. 5% light crystal. 10% oats. 1.045OG.
Motueka @30 mins to get to 25IBU.
1g/L each of Nelson Sauvin and Riwaka @5 minutes.
US05 or Nottingham.
A great NZ 'Summer' Blonde ale.

I'm off to buy some hops. Always wanted to try those.

I have a low ABV but highly hopped Cream Ale recipe that fits your bill. It's not to style, but it's damn delicious and would hide issues better than most because of the higher hops

I'm keen to see the recipe. :)

First of all let’s discuss your “mistakes”. What form do these “mistakes” usually come in?
100% Pale ale malt. The hops of your choice. Use enough hops to mask any off flavors up to a lot of them for a hop bomb ale.

But as couchsending stated, work on your "mistakes".

I'm not really sure what my mistakes are (apart from bottle conditioning), I use freshly milled grains, always pay close attention to mash temp and mash pH, I have great temperature control with my fermenting fridge that has a heat pad and temp controller, I pitch lots of yeast, I'm very careful with sanitation and reducing post-pitch oxygenation etc. But no doubt there's plenty of room for improvement.

This is my recipe for a blonde ale Blonde Ale - Blonde Moment and I have had several people in beer trades say they really like it.

Thanks! Looks good.

Also would these mildly hoppy ales have a good shelf life? I can put them in the cold garage now it's winter but come summer time I don't have anywhere cold to store them for long.

Last edited:
I'm keen to see the recipe. :)

OG 1.044
IBU 25
ABV 4.8%

6.5lb American 6-row malt (78.2%)
1.5lb grits/ground corn (18%)
5 oz Acidulated malt (3.8%)

I used raw grits and did a cereal mash, but instant grits would work fine. Add the boiled grits to the strike water before doughing in, so that you hit your strike temp correctly. I mashed at 148F for 60 minutes

0.25oz Magnum @ 60 minutes
0.5oz Saaz @20 minutes
0.5oz Saaz @ 5 minutes
0.5 oz Cascade at flame out

1 pack of US-05 yeast fermented at 64F

Water profile:

105 ppm Calcium
6 ppm Sodium
68 ppm Chloride
2 ppm magnesium
145 ppm Sulfate
24 ppm Bicarbonate

I accomplished this with 4g of gypsum and 2g of CaCl into my mash using my tap water

The final beer should be clear, very crisp, hoppy but not "in your face", it's my ultimate lawnmower beer - and closely resembles a historical Cream Ale instead of a modern low-hopped version

I'm with
I second this. Made a smash pale ale using 2 row and cascade hops. It is definetly a light, crisp beer. Cascade gives just a hint of citrus. Its been populare even with the friends that don't care for homebrew.

OG 1.044
IBU 25
ABV 4.8%

6.5lb American 6-row malt (78.2%)
1.5lb grits/ground corn (18%)
5 oz Acidulated malt (3.8%)

I used raw grits and did a cereal mash, but instant grits would work fine. Add the boiled grits to the strike water before doughing in, so that you hit your strike temp correctly. I mashed at 148F for 60 minutes

0.25oz Magnum @ 60 minutes
0.5oz Saaz @20 minutes
0.5oz Saaz @ 5 minutes
0.5 oz Cascade at flame out

1 pack of US-05 yeast fermented at 64F

Water profile:

105 ppm Calcium
6 ppm Sodium
68 ppm Chloride
2 ppm magnesium
145 ppm Sulfate
24 ppm Bicarbonate

I accomplished this with 4g of gypsum and 2g of CaCl into my mash using my tap water

The final beer should be clear, very crisp, hoppy but not "in your face", it's my ultimate lawnmower beer - and closely resembles a historical Cream Ale instead of a modern low-hopped version

Do you find grits results in a corn-like flavor?

Two row. 10-15% vienna or Munich. Shoot for 5% abv. Temp friendly warm lager yeast like 34/70 or s189. 20-30 ibu. Motueka and Pacifica and some other citrusy hop. Biofine or gelatine to clarify.

crush them all day long.

Latest posts

Back