Something on the surface of beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie123

Reaction score
Hello

Can anyone help ID what is happening to my beer. It is a Coopers Hop Gobbler. I followed the recipe and the only issue I had was that our heating went out and took a while to fix so fermentation slowed dramatically. All in it took around a month. I opened it a few days ago to take a Gravity and remove the hops bag. Opened to again this morning to begin bottling and found this film on the surface. I hope someone can tell me if this is normal after dry hopping or what it is and if I should dump it or go ahead and bottle? I’ve attached two photos I hope they’re clear enough.

Attachments

• EFB507D0-CB3C-4208-A7C5-F60D4DFEE9E8.jpeg
    EFB507D0-CB3C-4208-A7C5-F60D4DFEE9E8.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 98
  • 725C3BC8-4278-4114-B4E3-8F3AAED6D71A.jpeg
    725C3BC8-4278-4114-B4E3-8F3AAED6D71A.jpeg
    571.8 KB · Views: 96
We call those spots yeast rafts. When the ferment is done the beer has a lot of CO2 dissolved and it begins to slowly bubble out, carrying yeast and trub to the surface where they stay due to the tiny bubbles. Looks pretty normal to me.

I agree there is definitely some yeast, but doesn’t the first pic look like the beginning of a pellicle forming? Looks like a film on top. I’d still keg and try it, but I’d do it quick. What’s the gravity currently?

I agree there is definitely some yeast, but doesn’t the first pic look like the beginning of a pellicle forming? Looks like a film on top. I’d still keg and try it, but I’d do it quick. What’s the gravity currently?

I have bottled it as the Gravity was at 1.010 the same as a week ago. It tasted fine.

If it was Cooper's, did you by chance bottle in plastic bottles? If so, squeeze them daily. As soon as there is acceptable carb, put a couple in the fridge to see if it clears any residue off the top. Sometimes fridging it faster can stave off worrisome growths a bit.

If it was Cooper's, did you by chance bottle in plastic bottles? If so, squeeze them daily. As soon as there is acceptable carb, put a couple in the fridge to see if it clears any residue off the top. Sometimes fridging it faster can stave off worrisome growths a bit.

I’m reusing glass beer bottles ( not a fan of plastic) but I will do a check in a week to see if it’s carbonated and keep an eye out for any surface growth. Any idea what the growth might be? I have a serious penicillin allergy so if there’s any chance I may leave the tasting to my OH.

Penicillin comes from mold, and a pellicle isn’t mold. So that would seem to be out. I’ve never heard of penicillin in beer. Though it’s been shown ancient Nubians brewed a tetracycline beer. Tetracycline however is fine for penicillin sensitive folk. I say drink away.

kinda looks like just old krausen rafts. I would suggest cold crash a couple days. kinda disturb the fermenter to break them up a little up so they can fall to the bottom and compact into the trub so you can rack clear beer. Something as simple as slap the side a bit. The vibrations might be enough to break the surface tension and get them to fall.

I’m reusing glass beer bottles ( not a fan of plastic) but I will do a check in a week to see if it’s carbonated and keep an eye out for any surface growth. Any idea what the growth might be? I have a serious penicillin allergy so if there’s any chance I may leave the tasting to my OH.

White rings and residue inside the bottles around the top surface can be an early indication (but even that can/will be fine most if the time and not necessarily an infection). If you see noticeable white rings (that seem to have depth or are growing), I would throw a bottle in the fridge to see if that helps. The other thing to watch out for is floaties/unusual debris in the bottles beer.

Just thought I’d post an update on the beer I bottled about 3 weeks ago. It’s been bottle conditioning since then and there appears t be something on the surface in the bottles. I’m unsure if it an infection or just yeast. When you move the bottle some of the bits sink. I swirled on of them the other day and the bits disappeared only to reappear the next day. I’ve put one in the fridge for a couple of days. Confused; but I guess I’ll find out when I open it!

Attachments

• 3824B867-BC61-46E3-AE5F-54E6258A0163.jpeg
    3824B867-BC61-46E3-AE5F-54E6258A0163.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
We call those spots yeast rafts. When the ferment is done the beer has a lot of CO2 dissolved and it begins to slowly bubble out, carrying yeast and trub to the surface where they stay due to the tiny bubbles. Looks pretty normal to me.
Just curious if you know, what would it mean if what he's showing there were an orangish color? My friend said the best beer he's ever made developed an orange film on the top and he has no idea why. Same recipe he always makes with no issues.

Just thought I’d post an update on the beer I bottled about 3 weeks ago. It’s been bottle conditioning since then and there appears t be something on the surface in the bottles. I’m unsure if it an infection or just yeast. When you move the bottle some of the bits sink. I swirled on of them the other day and the bits disappeared only to reappear the next day. I’ve put one in the fridge for a couple of days. Confused; but I guess I’ll find out when I open it!
Good luck! I currently am also waiting to see if my batch is going to come out all right. We forgot to evenly distribute the sugars before bottling 😬. No explosions yet though! 😅

Good luck! I currently am also waiting to see if my batch is going to come out all right. We forgot to evenly distribute the sugars before bottling 😬. No explosions yet though! 😅

This brew is the first time I’ve dry hopped so it might just be my mind trying to find issues 🤭. Fingers crossed you don’t get any explosions; I started batch priming after I had one!

This brew is the first time I’ve dry hopped so it might just be my mind trying to find issues 🤭. Fingers crossed you don’t get any explosions; I started batch priming after I had one!
We dry hopped on our first one, and it definitely developed a thick film like that, but like a lot of other people were saying you just try to siphon away from the sides and the top to avoid getting to much pulp. Ours tasted quite good for a first go. I'm sure yours is going to be great!

Back