something is breaking and eating bines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ba-brewer

I'm not Zog, I'm Leroi
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So a week or so ago I noticed that the bines of my chinook plant had the bines broke right where they started to climb up the support rope. Did not look like anything was missing just cut in two. A couple days later they came back and chewed the bines back to a couple inches of the crown. The plants are in container and in order eat them they had to climb inside the container(half whiskey barrel). I first thought maybe rabbits as we have few cotton tails that bounce around, but today I found they got my cascade bines about 7 foot up the rope. There is a fence close so something could reach over to get to the rope and bines. I am thinking squirrels now. Anyone ever have this problem with squirrels eating their bines before?

Last edited by a moderator:
So a week or so ago I noticed that the bines of my chinook plant had the bines broke right where they started to climb up the support rope. Did not look like anything was missing just cut in two. A couple days later they came back and chewed the bines back to a couple inches of the crown. The plants are in container and in order eat them they had to climb inside the container(half whiskey barrel). I first thought maybe rabbits as we have few cotton tails that bounce around, but today I found they got my cascade bines about 7 foot up the rope. There is a fence close so something could reach over to get to the rope and bines. I am thinking squirrels now. Anyone ever have this problem with squirrels eating their bines before?

I went on a mass murder campaign last summer when I had the same problem, and identified the culprits and cottontails. I killed about 30 of them in and around my yard. This year I don't have a problem. (so far). I've only killed two of them this year. Word seems to have gotten out that to enter my yard or anywhere within range of my pellet rifle is to die!!

H.W.

I had some rats clipping off the bines one time. They were trying to recover the bines and use them to build nests. They are dead now.

I am less than a block away from a large open space area so we have all sort of wild things coming through the back yard. I hope it is not rats that are eating mine, but the sample then return for more does sound rat like. Sounds like it might be varmint season.

I've had squirrels eating the tips of my Cascade growing on the chain link fence. I'm not sure how you'd protect hops against climbing critters.

Electric fence will stop anything if it's laid out properly........ I've even used it to keep robins out of my strawberry patch. I observed that they would land on the fence, so I placed two parallel wires at the point where they liked to roost before descending on the strawberry patch....They'd roost there until they decided which was the biggest fattest juiciest strawberry, then fly down to the bed and walk in and drill a hole, then fly back up and choose another...... a 410 with dove and quail shot works well, but I really didn't want to kill them. Once I placed the wires and energized them, each robin had to experience it once..... and it was fun to watch.......They would get a foot on each wire and get nailed..... taking off with a surprised squawk............ I then laid a piece of hardware cloth on the ground next to the berries, and several wires, some grounded and some hot..... that stopped them walking into the patch, but they would then circle and dive in........At that point I decided that if they wouldn't take the lesson, the 410 was the only remaining answer, and I killed all the repeat offenders..... which were few.

The next year, I made a small steel framework with a tiny gear reduction motor and a bearing assembly. I mounted an aluminum tube with a bunch of streamers ...... surveyors tape.... with weights on the bottom of each, such that they just barely brushed the leaves. The unit turned about one RPM......... it worked on both robins and deer. I also used a motion detector to turn rainbirds on when deer came into my garden............ I one doe stand in my garden and challenge me.... stamping a hoof at me and trying to drive ME out of MY garden. I dove one doe out by hitting her with a shovel again and again....... She'd just move away and wait for me to leave..... Needless to say I resorted to other and more permanent solutions with her.

I would try to observe how the predators are getting into your hop patch.........or theorize on how they do it, then try to design an electric fence layout to deal with it. If you buy an electric fencer.........buy a powerful one.......... an Australian fencer that will knock you on your ass and leave your arm numb for the rest of the day.......These critters need a serious lesson, not just as minor tickle. Most fencers pulse.........I have one that is always hot.....which is nice.

This year I'm ahead of the bunny game......... Just killed another one a few minutes ago.......... My yard is a "no bunny zone"........

H.W.

Electric fence will stop anything if it's laid out properly........ I've even used it to keep robins out of my strawberry patch. I observed that they would land on the fence, so I placed two parallel wires at the point where they liked to roost before descending on the strawberry patch....They'd roost there until they decided which was the biggest fattest juiciest strawberry, then fly down to the bed and walk in and drill a hole, then fly back up and choose another...... a 410 with dove and quail shot works well, but I really didn't want to kill them. Once I placed the wires and energized them, each robin had to experience it once..... and it was fun to watch.......They would get a foot on each wire and get nailed..... taking off with a surprised squawk............ I then laid a piece of hardware cloth on the ground next to the berries, and several wires, some grounded and some hot..... that stopped them walking into the patch, but they would then circle and dive in........At that point I decided that if they wouldn't take the lesson, the 410 was the only remaining answer, and I killed all the repeat offenders..... which were few.

The next year, I made a small steel framework with a tiny gear reduction motor and a bearing assembly. I mounted an aluminum tube with a bunch of streamers ...... surveyors tape.... with weights on the bottom of each, such that they just barely brushed the leaves. The unit turned about one RPM......... it worked on both robins and deer. I also used a motion detector to turn rainbirds on when deer came into my garden............ I one doe stand in my garden and challenge me.... stamping a hoof at me and trying to drive ME out of MY garden. I dove one doe out by hitting her with a shovel again and again....... She'd just move away and wait for me to leave..... Needless to say I resorted to other and more permanent solutions with her.

I would try to observe how the predators are getting into your hop patch.........or theorize on how they do it, then try to design an electric fence layout to deal with it. If you buy an electric fencer.........buy a powerful one.......... an Australian fencer that will knock you on your ass and leave your arm numb for the rest of the day.......These critters need a serious lesson, not just as minor tickle. Most fencers pulse.........I have one that is always hot.....which is nice.

This year I'm ahead of the bunny game......... Just killed another one a few minutes ago.......... My yard is a "no bunny zone"........

H.W.

Don't mess with Owly or the garden... View attachment 1434020218061.jpg

So I think I figured out what is messing with my hop plants. I caught a tree squirrel sitting on the fence munching on a hop cone. Then a few day latter I noticed some sunflowers fallen over with the stalks chewed on near the base.

I am guessing the squirrel bite the bines at the base thinking they would fall over.

5gyhv.jpg

Latest posts

Back