Something for my wife after the baby is born...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hodge

Reaction score
SWMBO wants a beer after we have our first in February, but rather than in a general sense, she's wanting something like a De Ranke XX Bitter.

I've scoured the internet and even posted the question here on HBT... No luck on a recipe.

Does anyone have any recipe that they know of that would be close? I feel like it's the least I can do for her.

(I'd guess that XX bitter is all Pilsner malt and I've heard that the hops are Brewer's Gold and Hallertauer. I should also say that I've cultured the yeast from a bottle)

I have no idea about the recipe, but I just noticed you're from Rutland. I'm in Fair Haven. Where do you go for brewing supplies? I always end up driving to Burlington or Saratoga. Do you know of anyplace closer?

Per the De Ranke website...

• XX Bitter or Extra Extra Bitter is a blond, bitter ale containing 6.2% vol. Alc. It’s famous for it’s very bitter and strong flavour. XX is being made with pale pilsner malt and loads of Brewers Gold and Hallertau hop flowers. A perfect combination that has been nationally and internationally praised. This ale has been a real trendsetter for the current comeback of bitter ales in Belgium.

--Source HERE

Sounds like what you heard was right on the money. Having never tasted it, that's all the input I can offer.

I have no idea about the recipe, but I just noticed you're from Rutland. I'm in Fair Haven. Where do you go for brewing supplies? I always end up driving to Burlington or Saratoga. Do you know of anyplace closer?

In a pinch for something like a hydrometer, I'll head over to Brewfest Beverage in Ludlow. They have a limited amount of grains, yeast, hops, etc.

I usually end up buying supplies on the internet because gas money + time to Burlington is just not worth it.

Per the De Ranke website...

• XX Bitter or Extra Extra Bitter is a blond, bitter ale containing 6.2% vol. Alc. It’s famous for it’s very bitter and strong flavour. XX is being made with pale pilsner malt and loads of Brewers Gold and Hallertau hop flowers. A perfect combination that has been nationally and internationally praised. This ale has been a real trendsetter for the current comeback of bitter ales in Belgium.

--Source HERE

Sounds like what you heard was right on the money. Having never tasted it, that's all the input I can offer.

Thanks for that, it's a pretty awesome beer if you like hops and Belgians.

Congrats on your future baby!!

Keep in mind that what she craves now and what she will actually eat & drink after giving birth may be two totally different things. I'm not trying to burst your bubble. I just don't want you to be let down if she doesn't want it aftwards or if she thinks it tastes like crap. It's just the way women's bodies work.

I say brew that beer and a few others so that she can have a choice of what she feels like. ;)

Oh yeah, brew as much beer as can now and stock up because you may or may not have the time to do it for a little while after baby arrives.. Trust me on this. ;)

E

Back