Some questions about keg conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sully14

Reaction score
I recently brewed a holiday spiced ale (Jamil's "Ol' Yule Loggy") and the primary fermentation is just now finishing up (it's been 10 days). I'm going to rack it secondary for a couple of weeks, and then keg it and let it condition until December. I'm kegging rather than bottling so i can taste test along the way to see if i need to add anything to get it where i want.
My questions are:

When i keg it, do i just get it carbed where i want and then just unhook the gas and let it sit?

Will it hold carbonation for that long (Approx. 4 months)?

Do i need to keep it cold for the entire time or can i move it out of refrigeration after i get it up to the proper carbonation?

Thanks in advance for the help,
-Sully

Once its carbed you can unhook the gas and let it sit at room temp for a couple months with no problems. Just remember to let it chill before reconnecting the gas.

You could also just prime it and natural carb. if you are looking to keg condition until closer to the holidays.

You could also just prime it and natural carb. if you are looking to keg condition until closer to the holidays.

Kind of agree here. I could be wrong but I think once you chill it you will knock the yeast out of suspension and inhibit conditioning. I would personally natural carbonate it or just seal it up with a bit of c02 and let it sit till the holidays at room temp. Then, a few weeks before tapping just chill and put on gas at the appropriate temp and pressure for carbonation.

Not sure how chilling before hand will 'inhibit' conditioning. The yeast is still there.... Last two years I've brewed my holiday brew in July (including this year) and done excactly what the OP asked. Chill, carb, and bring back to room temp with no ill results til xmas. By far the best reviews from friends and family.....

Not sure how chilling before hand will 'inhibit' conditioning. The yeast is still there.... Last two years I've brewed my holiday brew in July (including this year) and done excactly what the OP asked. Chill, carb, and bring back to room temp with no ill results til xmas. By far the best reviews from friends and family.....

I'm not 100 percent certain but I thought it would cause the yeast to flocculate and settle wrather than remain in suspension and do their thing.

If you're going to age, it is simply more economical to naturally carb than force carb. Dextrose is cheaper than CO2.

What's wrong with hitting it with ~30 PSI for a couple minutes to ensure a proper seal and just leave it at room temperature? Come December, you can chill and carbonate it in a manner that lets you have it ready on time. I have a tripel that's been in a keg for a couple months that wasn't carbed first; I'm giving it another month or so before chill/carb.

Absolutely nothing. It's your beer. Do what you feel is right and don't let anyone talk you into something unless it makes sense to you.

Back