some priming sugar help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apologeticus

Reaction score
will soon be bottling an English Sweet Porter. the kit came with "1 cup" of priming sugar. I'm sure this is too much for this style, but I don't have a scale to measure a proper amount. Suggestions? (besides buying a scale)

I usually go by weight, but if one goes by the ratio of 2/3 cup per 5oz sugar, I would say you probably want between 1/3 and 1/2 cup, depending on how carbonated you want it and the fermentation temperature.

One cup is a ton of sugar for an English porter. Even 3/4 cup is way overcarbonated IMO.

I usually go by weight, but if one goes by the ratio of 2/3 cup per 5oz sugar, I would say you probably want between 1/3 and 1/2 cup, depending on how carbonated you want it and the fermentation temperature.

One cup is a ton of sugar for an English porter. Even 3/4 cup is way overcarbonated IMO.

ok good, this is along the lines of what I was thinking. I think I'll just use half the package or a little less.

Latest posts

Back