Some pics from my Saison brewday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riored4v

Reaction score
Figured I would do something up for it and get my Saison rolling so it'll be ready for summer. Missed my mash temps by a couple of degrees unfortunately, but i collected .25g more than I intended and ended up 2 points over the expected gravity.

Was a good day for a couple beers and some brewing :cool:

Finishing up

New setup i'm trying out for the Saison since it needs to be fermented so hot. Hopefully it'll work better than the heating pad i used last time. Using a fish tank heater and water this time

The pictures tell the story. Nice. :mug:

BTW, your garage is way too clean and open. Let's get some junk in there to make the rest of us feel better, okay?

Thanks.

BTW, your garage is way too clean and open. Let's get some junk in there to make the rest of us feel better, okay?

Thanks.

LOL! I was thinking the same thing! Have me over for a few beers and we can have that garage in proper disarray in NO TIME! :mug:

Thanks.

haha, very true. it's my dads garage. He cleans the heck outta that thing pretty regularly and tries to keep everything up off the floor as much as posible..lol

How is the fish tank heater working? Ive thought of doing the exact same thing if i ever needed to ferment at a higher temp than my basement.

How is the fish tank heater working? Ive thought of doing the exact same thing if i ever needed to ferment at a higher temp than my basement.

so far pretty good. basement was around 58ish so we couldnt go down there and the warmest spot in the house was around 66ish. first two days we were able to hold it at around 74 according to the thermostrip. then ramping it up to 87. seems to work good though.

last time i used a heating pad and it seemed like i was messing with it every couple hours.

one more question,

does the heater have a temp setting by number or do you have to mess with it until the water temp is where you want it to be?

riored4v if you don't mind, could you post your recipe. I was planning on doing a saison (never done one before) soon and found a recipe in the recipe section, but would like to compare. Anything really different, beside the higher fermentation temps (nice idea by the way with the heater), about brewing this style?

one more question,

does the heater have a temp setting by number or do you have to mess with it until the water temp is where you want it to be?

newer ones might.. not to sure. this was an older one my dad had laying around, and you have to mess with it until you find the right temp. we had it on the lowest setting to start with.

riored4v if you don't mind, could you post your recipe. I was planning on doing a saison (never done one before) soon and found a recipe in the recipe section, but would like to compare. Anything really different, beside the higher fermentation temps (nice idea by the way with the heater), about brewing this style?

i kept mine pretty simple. i'm at work but i think the recipe was:

9lbs pilsner malt
1.5lbs victory
1lb wheat

1oz styrian golding at 60min
.33oz EKG at 20
.33oz EKG at 5
.33oz EKG at 3

1lb of belgian candy sugar

Mashed at 148* for 90min. Between the longer/cooler mash and the sugar it should make for a nice, dry saison. I can't really think of anything to special aside from longer/lower mash and the warm ferment temps. Some people like to add the sugar into the fermenter as the ferment is winding down to kick it back up again. Then ofcourse some people like to add spices as well.

I'm in the "let the yeast make the spicy flavor" group as well.

Speaking of which... what yeast did you go with?

Nice pics, but YES, you do need more stuff in the garage!!

It's pretty full actually. 3 cars, 14cu ft chest freezer along with an upright fridge, 2 full size tool boxes, tons of shelving, and a couple storage boxes from his mechanic days

Thanks riored4v! Your recipe seems much simplier than others I've seen. At what point do you add the candy sugar? Had you brewed this recipe before?

I add it in at the beginning of the boil. I've brewed this once before but the FG finished a bit on the high side and I'm THINKING it was because i didnt keep the yeast warm enough. It finished around 1.020 unfortunately, but it was still very good. I wanted to use the same recipe and try to keep it warmer and do a 90min mash this time to try and dry it out more.

And speaking of that damn fish tank heater.. it gave up on me..lol We had to scramble and we ended finding a space heater that had a thermostat on it. Got it rockin perfect at 87* now. Granted the room feels like a sauna, but eh.. it works..lol

Back