Some help please for my first year hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scorchingice

Reaction score
I went out to the garden today and I noticed that the leaves on a lot of my hop plants are getting what I call a Fish scale looking surface. They are multicolored and have an odd grey fish scale look to them. Is that normal ? I looked at Powdery Mildew pictures, but it doesnt seem to be like that. It honestly looks like fish scales on a bluegill.

I also spotted a single Japanese beetle on of the leaves of a plant. There aren't many, I think I only spotted one. Is 1 still too many? Or should I not be concerned unless I see them taking over my plants?

I do know the Japanese beetle is eating holes in the plant leaves as most of my leaves have holes in them. A few of the leaves are yellow, but I can't see any aphids at all and there are only a few yellow leaves among all 16 plants.

These are all first year plants. I have 8 different types of hops, 2 of each.

A picture of the garden follows.

img0088b.jpg

img0074xt.jpg

If you're using your sprinklers during the heat of the day, that might be why some leaves are turning yellow.

I've read on a few places on here and other sources (none that I can really think of off the top of my head) that the first few feet of leaves sometimes is best to prune them all. They are the ones most suseptible to disease/bugs I think, and it's pretty common for them to turn silly colors and die. Sometimes just pruning the leafs that are dying on the bottom is best. I've done it with no set backs and good success with my two first year hops.

Back