Some good info for those using soft copper coil when building chillers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J187

Reaction score
There are a few different types of soft copper coil - Primarily we are concerned with three types - type M, type L, and Refrigeration. These are the ones that are common to find - big box stores - and are affordable on some level. Type M and L are for all intents and purposes, the same for our application. The main difference of note is between "soft copper coil" and "refrigeration coil". They seem similar, if not the same at first glance. However, they are actually from two different trade industries - the plumbing trade and the refrigeration trade respectively. This is of particular note because they are not sized the same. The plumbing industry uses nominal sizing. Which means that when you but 1/2" tubing withing the plumbing community, you are getting 1/2" INSIDE diameter. The outside diameter will be 1/8" larger - 1/2" tubing will measure 5/8" OD. Fittings in the plumbing industry are sized to match the nominal pipes. So, 1/2" fitting will fit a 1/2" pipe, even though the OD of the pipe isn't a 1/2" and the ID of the fitting isn't 1/2".

To wrap up, 1/2" refrigeration tubing is considerably smaller than 1/2" Type L or Type M soft copper. You can recognize refrigeration coil by either a marking on the box or package - R or Refrigeration, by it's sizing of OD, or by it's trademarked capped ends - to keep moisture out when it's sold.

Just remember, if you do choose refrigeration, buying a 3/8" tube will basically give you a 1/4" tube that will accept tiny 1/4" fittings. Obviously, soft copper coil is better.

I don't even know what I made my chiller from now it was so long ago... Wish I did though because I am going to be adapting it to go into my HERMS system soon.. I guess I will be finding out the hard way lol. Time to find my digital calipers before I go to install it.

Back