Some further efforts to make cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigWomanLover

Reaction score
Hello guys! When I was in the UK, i enjoyed so much drinking English Cider :) But unfortunately, it does not exists in Turkey, neither in Cyprus. So I decided to make it on my own.

The first time I tried to make cider I failed :) So this is my second time. This topic will be like a diary to show you and ask if i'm doing it right :) So I hope you may advise me :)

1. I got apples from the local store (5 kg's of apples) and bought a fruit grinder to grind them.

2. Squeeze the juice from the apples

img_1028.jpg

1628incim4668151.jpg

7769incii2938776.jpg

3. Heating the juice till it boils (like 5 minutes)

img_1031.jpg

4. Waiting for them to cool down

Current step: I'm currently waiting for the juice to cool down...

Heating apples can make them gain a cooked apple sort if taste so people dont usually heat it at all. The other thing that happens is the pectin in the apples can start to set which will stop the cider clearing , adding pectic enzyme helps to break the pectin down and helps ensure it is nice and clear. Its best added at the beginning but if you dont have any it can be added later.

in terms of pasteruization I would heat your juice to JUST UNDER boiling for about 45 minutes. In pasturization you dont boil your product and from what I have read with cider it wont ever clear after boiling.

So okay, I don't have pectic enzyme, does it mean that I need to heat the juice JUST UNDER the boiling temperature. (for 45 minutes?)

And one more question. I'm a bit afraid that the juice may become something like jam, or cooked apple, so I'm afraid of heating it.

And i dont want it to lose its water, so is it okay if i heat it in the pressure cooker? :)

If you've already boiled it, don't heat it again! You will have hazy cider, but if you don't have pectic enzyme, there is really not much to do about it. Maybe long term cold aging, but I doubt it.

Thanks for replies! :)

OK, so i'm gonna try it in another cider :)

For this one, the incoming step is to put it into fermentation, right?

How long I need to wait for it to be at least drinkable? :)

1 step or 2 steps? And how long?

Do you have access to plain old apple juice? If so, I would try a simple cider - apple juice and Nottingham or other ale yeast. If you want dry cider, let it ferment all the way out, bottle and enjoy.

If you want semi-sweet cider, look at www.makinghardcider.com or try bottle pasteurizing via the sticky thread above.

The dry cider is easier and might be a good place for you to start.

BigWomanLover said:
For this one, the incoming step is to put it into fermentation, right?

Yes, you need to add yeast to the juice and let I ferment. I use ale yeast, some people use wine yeast.

Cover the mouth of your fermenter loosely, with foil or something like that, if you don't have an airlock. You want to let the CO2 out, but keep air (and wild yeast and bacteria) out.

Let it the yeast eat up all the apple sugars for a few weeks. Then bottle. You'll have a dry still cider. Or prime with sugar and you'll have a dry sparkling cider.

I intend to make a cider tastes like this, if you know this brand:

stock-photo-17614182-belgian-cider.jpg

I tried a few more ciders but i don't know what their brands are. One in Wetherspoons, other one in a brewery house near St. John's Wood.

When I heated it, a foam-like material has raised on the juice. I didn't filter it when putting it into fermentation. Does it matter so much?

pisir.JPG

Latest posts

Back