some bottles flat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phbern

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been bottling my beer and I have a slight problem where a few, four or five out of 48, are flat when I open them. I'm pretty sure this is due to me just not getting the cap on properly. My question is, can I re-cap the bottle and hope it carbonates? Would I need to add anything or do anything else? Would it even work?

Thanks!

Paul

If those 4-5 bottles had a loose cap, whatever carbonation was created in the bottle, has escaped by the time you open it. Re-capping it will not help at that point. You could add 3 grams of sugar to each bottle and re-cap. But note that if a bottle has a loose cap, it will probably also suffer from some oxidation.

I am using a benchtop. I switched from a wing after I broke three bottles... :) I think I just didn't have the bottle centered correctly.

How close do you get the bottle to the crimper? If you are like me, you will have a variety of height in bottles. I try to line them up in groups, then cap the shortest first, then bump the height up. Maybe you are a little too high sometimes.
(yes that is a double entendre.)

Just so happens I'm bottling this rainy afternoon...
20210317_172403 (1).jpg

How close do you get the bottle to the crimper? If you are like me, you will have a variety of height in bottles. I try to line them up in groups, then cap the shortest first, then bump the height up. Maybe you are a little too high sometimes.
(yes that is a double entendre.)

I'm using all the same size bottles now. I did start with different sizes, but as you say, it got to be a bit of a pain moving the crimper up and down. I think it's more a matter of getting the bottles centered and level. I have the same capper as you.

I'm using all the same size bottles now. I did start with different sizes, but as you say, it got to be a bit of a pain moving the crimper up and down. I think it's more a matter of getting the bottles centered and level. I have the same capper as you.
Same as smata67? That is the one I have but I am not sure I posted a photo.

If not a multi-height issue, I did have a few bottles that wouldn't cap properly even though they were pop tops. They were identifiable so I think they were Bass bottles but may have been Pete's Wicked.

As far as centered and level, I sort of pause right about when the capper is snug on the top.

My opinion on varying carbonation is that a gentle stir of the contents upon adding the primer to the bottling bucket is in order.

I make a point of giving away my short bottles whenever possible as I have way too many bottles!

Latest posts

Back