Some Advice Needed - First Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogboysdad

Reaction score
I have been an extract and partial brewer for several years. I have been staring at a recipe on this forum for some time, and I broke down today and bought the ingredients. Here's what I want to make:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/sunset-wheat-clone-59460/

I see the author hasn't been around in about a year, so I figure you can field my questions just fine.

How hot does my water need to be? How much do I use, and how long does it sit? I assume that once I have a wort, I add my hops and brew away as I normally would.

Have any of you tried this recipe?

Thanks in advance all.

i'm not an expert, but use 1-1.5 quarts of water for every pound of grain. your hops would be added to the wort just as in extract brewing. i'm not sure about the mash temp, just look up another wheat recipe and use that temp and you should be fine. make sure that the water added to the grain is 10-15 degrees hotter than your desired mash temp. the grains will lower the final temperature when the water is added. have fun and good luck on your first day.

since the author never mentioned what temps to use, I would just go for 152F for the mash temp. You'll need water between 165 and 170F to get it to stabilize at 152F (this is a good 'generic' temperature that'll give you a balance between alpha and beta amylase conversion...not too dry, not too malty).

and yes, 1 to 1.5quarts of water per pound of grain, going into the mash. the rest of your volume will come from the sparge.

pretty much if a recipe doesn't tell you what your rest is at, assume 152-153F for 60 minutes (although many modern malts will fully convert in 40 minutes)

I tried it tonight. I'll let you know how it progresses. My 50' wort chiller and the 30 degree temps got my wort temp down fast. I pitched my yeast an hour ago. My fingers are crossed . . . didn't seem like much hops . . .

Back