Solvent Flavor Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polamalu43

Reaction score
So I just tasted both of my beers and took their gravities after exactly seven days of fermentation. To my dismay, both have a bit of a chemical-y, solvent-y character. Both are obviously extremely young.

(1) Abbey Single - I used Wyeast 1214 and underpitched (one smackpack that didn't swell that much). Fermentation took little while to start. Fermented very cool (63-66).

(2) Belgian IPA - I used Wyeast 3787 and pitched two smack packs that swelled well. Blew through two airlock. Fermented at roughly the same temperatures. Somewhat less solvent-y character, but it's a much hoppier beer.

In both cases, I want to say that fermentation temperature has, if anything, dropped a little bit (maybe 2-4 degrees) as the week has gone on. I've read that 3787 can stall out when that happens, and when I popped the lid to dry hop today, it was still covered in krausen and stuck at 1.020.

Any thoughts on the cause of the solvent-y character? I know it's probably way to early to tell, especially considering that these things fermented on the colder side of things.

Random thought regarding my own question: any chance that the fermenting these things on the lower end of the fermentation range produced these flavors?

Hi Polamalu,
Any chance you're tasting acetaldehyde? You'll get higher alcohols with higher ferment temperatures and higher gravities, but it doesn't sound like this is the problem. Acetaldehyde smells and tastes a little like green apples. Higher alcohols just taste bitter without any of the fruit component of acetaldehyde.
If the flavor clears up in a week, it was acetaldehyde.

Back