Solutions for overcarbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLWIII

Reaction score
Reading another thread about bottle bombs got me thinking about what to do about overcarbonation after the bottling stage. If one suspects, or is fairly certain, that there may be overcarbonation and the potential of bottle bombardment would a possible fix be to open every bottle after, say two weeks, let the pressure out and re-cap? Or, is it once it's opened you are kaput?

Put it this way, if you're pretty sure they're overcarbonated and at risk of exploding and you take the caps off, you run the risk of too flat beer.

Which scares you more? Flat beer, or exploding bottles?

You can also put them in the fridge to slow carbonation down, but it will still proceed extremely slowly. With an ale, this'll buy you some inexact amount of time to drink them, though.

I like to open a bottle after a week to see how carbonation is proceeding. If it foams up on me after a week, I probably need to be concerned, but if it's not carbonated yet or is only mildly so, I usually don't worry about it.

bottle bombs typically occur due to premature bottling...final gravity was not reached.
you can over carb enough to bust a bottle, but it not that common.

HIT the FG, then bottle, and it should not be a real worry.

bottle bombs typically occur due to premature bottling...final gravity was not reached.
you can over carb enough to bust a bottle, but it not that common.

HIT the FG, then bottle, and it should not be a real worry.

There is also Bacteria/hygiene to think about...

Back