Solid strut single tier build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost ready to go. Just need my sparge arm, and false bottom for the MLT, and a couple valves for the lids and it's done. Just thought I'd post an update picture.
IMG_0516_zps1dc707a4.jpg

Looks good, clever way to mount your pumps like that. I would get something to cover them though, mine sit below a wood "shelf" and they still seem to somehow attract wort!

Brew1.jpeg

Brew2.JPG

Almost ready to go. Just need my sparge arm, and false bottom for the MLT, and a couple valves for the lids and it's done. Just thought I'd post an update picture.

Excellent setup, and I love the simple layout you have for your pumps. Quick question: what casters are you using on there, and where did you source them? I'm having a devil of a time finding good quality casters for my own stand and it's really putting a hamper on my willingness to haul the thing out and brew.

Looks good, clever way to mount your pumps like that. I would get something to cover them though, mine sit below a wood "shelf" and they still seem to somehow attract wort!

Yeah, I'm still thinking about what to do about that. My brewing buddy is coming over this weekend so we'll put our heads together and come up with a solution.

It looks to be the same as mine which is "black iron pipe" I had to visit two different Home Depot 's as not all them carry the stuff. I had to go to one located in an older area of town where they have lots of gas in the homes.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

How did you make this gas manifold and out of what?

Yep, like Dave said...black pipe from Home Depot. They had everything I needed from the pipe, connectors, gas valves, fittings, and gas lines. I used 1/2in but 3/8 or 1/4 should work too. Plenty of gas supply to my 3 BG14 burners. I've brewed a batch on this system and aside from a couple slight hiccops, everything worked great.

I am looking to get this same setup from strutchannelfittings.com. I have blichmann burners. Has anyone else used them to attach to this rig? They have a bit of an odd shape since their designed to be attached to their top tier system, so I'M curious what attachments I need from the strut website to get them in there correctly.

Two years after posting this thread and brewing on this system I thought I'd post an update on how the stand is holding up and mention a few upgrades to my system.
There has been minimal if any burn off of the galvanizing near the burners and zero rusting so I'm glad I didn't spend the extra $$$'s on stainless.
Direct fire mashing and sparging requires almost constant babysitting for an hour and a half plus so I spent my tax return on two Blichmann TOP gas units - awesome!
Since I moved and don't need my system mobile anymore I figured I'd move the pump switch box to the same area as the TOP units and after drooling at some of the electric brewing control panels I thought I'd build something a little more bling than the standard HD weather proof switch box.
I may build a gas manifold, it would look cleaner but right now this works fine.
Also, as far as the last posters question, sorry this isn't timely for him but in case anyone is wondering, this stand will easily hold the weight of twenty gal batches. I'm guessing you could do 2 barrel batches on this thing.

IMG_1218.jpg

FYI- If you enter the coupon code "SAVE" when you check out you'll save 10% on your entire order. If you order the exact parts list that the OP has listed here it'll end up being $165.43 (a savings of about $18) minus the actual casters. Winning! Thanks OP! :tank:

I came across this thread and was very exited about the possibility to save some money and simplify my build a little since I have little welding experience. I put all this stuff in my cart to see the total price and cant say I was surprised but the price is much more 2 years later.
The total for everything in the initial build went from $165 to $270 for a 63% price increase $270.45, but still feels like a good deal. They also now sell ready to assemble stands with SS tops and powder coated bottoms for $365, though not the solid struts which look nicer.

https://strutchannelfittings.3dcart...-AND-FITTINGS-BLACK-POWDER-COATED_p_1187.html

David

Back