Solid layer (crystal? like) infection or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wimartin

Reaction score
Know the infection or not question gets old, but I'm lost.

0GZUOLB.jpg

Stout with lactose and several Oz of coco powder.

No fermentation at day 5 and this solid layer formed by day 3. I shook it before the picture to disrupt it to see what was going on.

This an infection ?

What kind of yeast did you use? For some reason, after looking at the pic, I have a craving for Blueberry Cobbler!

So you had no visible signs of fermentation by day 5? This is puzzling. Infections usually take a while to show up, but if you have vulnerable sugary wort sitting for 5 days....

although from the pther pic you linked, it looks more normal. I think that's just krausen that looks very odd maybe due to your recipe. Maybe the lactose or cocoa didnt mix right and it sitting atop the wort. Maybe you had a lot of trub that the yeast carried up to the top with it

Yay, feel like a zebra case

Should I take a gravity reading to see if fermentation occurred? How much change would signify fermentation?

If none, can I repitch another vial?

Really any drop in OG will let you know some type of fermentation is taking place. Just be extra careful with sanitation when you take the sample in so it doesnt turn into an infection.

If there was no drop or dropped less than like 0.30, I'd pitch another vial right away

Back