Sold on Safale US-05!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spiny_norman

Reaction score
This is good stuff. Store was out of WLP001 so I tried this for the first time. 2 packets, dumped into oxygenated 1.072 wort at 62 degrees. I didn't even bother to rehydrate. Lag time of 19 hours, fermented at 65. FG was 1.012 (19 days before crash cooling). That's about 83% attenuation.

This is great, as I can brew my stock ales on a whim--no more having to plan days in advance, not to mention the $$$ savings. I still need to taste the final product, but so far highly recommended.

It's a very clean finishing yeast. It's all I have been using since I first tried it. Cheaper, easier and works as well or better than everything else I have tried.

I have friends that brew at Deschutes and Cascade Lakes and I normally get asked what yeast I used first. "Wow, very clean. What yeast did you use?"

I rarely use anything but 05 and 04. And cheap? Yeah, Brewed Lil' Sparky's Nut Brown and knocked off ohiobrewtus' porter on the yeast cake with great results.

I love that yeast. I just bottled a Rye IPA I used US-05 in, and that thing fermented like crazy. I never rehydrate Safale stuff and have never had a problem. The only time I will use liquid yeast is for strange stuff, e.g. Brett beers, lambics, etc.

Safale makes yeast for English ales and wheat beers as well, plus lagers. So much easier and cheaper.

EDIT: Also, I live in Florida, so getting liquid yeast shipped to me is a pain, I'm always worried the liquid yeast is going to be dead, even with a cold pack. I don't have to worry about this with dry yeast.

Just tried US-05 this a week ago for the same reason. Will check the result in a few more weeks!

Latest posts

Back