Safale US-05 fermentation time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keg my US05 beers on day 14. Unless it's a big stout, then 21. Best to take a gravity reading 2 days in a row, but US05 is pretty consistent in my Pale Ales. Usually down to FG in 5ish days, then I ramp up to 68 for 2-3 days. That's only a week, so I figure the yeast will clean up anything else in another week.

I keg my US05 beers on day 14. Unless it's a big stout, then 21. Best to take a gravity reading 2 days in a row, but US05 is pretty consistent in my Pale Ales. Usually down to FG in 5ish days, then I ramp up to 68 for 2-3 days. That's only a week, so I figure the yeast will clean up anything else in another week.

Thanks today is day 14 and will start a cold crash. It’s a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Cheers

First time I used US-05 I bottled on day 14. Last time I used it I didn't cold crash until day 23. The last one is a lot cleaner than the first one was. The more I brew, the more patient I get. 'Cuz I don't run out of beer.

If you bottle condition, you have to be more careful about fermentation being finished. If you bottle before it's finished, it will finish in the bottle - overcarb'd, gushers, and/or bottle bombs. I check gravity generally after 18 days and again 3 days later. If gravity is steady, beer is fairly clear, and gravity is in a reasonable range for FG, I bottle. If not, I wait and check again later. It's almost always ready by that time.

I keg when the beer has finished fermenting. When the Tilt flatlines it’s done. Usually after 5 days. The yeast will take care of byproducts in the keg. I cold crash in the keg under CO2 pressure as well. It’ll also clear in the keg while it’s carbonating.

Back