Sodium / Sulphate Balance?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protos

Die Schwarzbier Polizei
Reaction score
I'm learning my water Chemistry, and since Autumn I've brewed many recipes with different water profiles - to learn the differencies when the beers are ready (none is ready yet, they're all lagering till Spring).
One of recipes for a sweet and chewy Belgian Blonde suggests high levels of Calcium, Sodium and Chloride (up to 100 ppm for each). I want to try that High-Sodium profile but what confuses me a bit is the presence of 60 ppm of Sulphate in my tap water. I read that in the presence of Sulphate high levels of Sodium should be avoided or I risk to get a harsh beer.

I have no idea (yet) how Mineral combinations affect the brew, so I turn to the collective wisdom of the board:
- will the combination of 100 Ca, 100 Cl, 100 Na and 60 ppm SO produce any harshness?
- or am I safer to build the same water profile from Deionized Water, excluding Sulphate altogether?
- what do you think is the safe ratio for Sodium to Sulphate?

Less than 100 ppm of each is reasonable and will not be harsh. Don't worry about 60 ppm sulphate, that is very minor. Ratios do not matter in the slightest. Only the amounts of each matter. If you want to avoid harshness, don't add much more sodium (table salt) or gypsum or Epsom (sulphate).

In my opinion (and that s all it is) 100 ppm sodium will somewhat mute the flavors of a beer on the lighter end of the color scale. I would go no higher than 50 ppm for lighter colored beers. 100 ppm sodium is OK for very dark beers.

Great answers, thanks!
And if I want to make a blonde beer really sweet (as it should be with this recipe) how much I may boost Ca and Cl?

100 ppm calcium and 100 ppm sodium in combination contribute 9.34 mEqu.
100 ppm chloride and 100 ppm sulfate contribute just 4.07 mEqu.
A significant imbalance requiring more Anions for a practical water.
The absent ion is bicarbonate, but for to be present at the level necessary to make a balance, it would need to be around 300 ppm and wouldn't help mash pH.

Back